Crazy Copper Coincidences

RoyHalladay

May 16, 2011
Hello fellow hunters,
I've been coin hunting for almost 3 weeks now. Just doing pennies still. I've done 9 different purchases (from different banks on different days). The overall total searched is around $75. The crazy coincidence is the copper percentages that I'm getting. I sort out the pre-'82s like many of you do. It's fun and pure profit. Here are the totals:

Bank 1 - 31.4% copper
Bank 2 - 31.8% copper
Bank 3 - 28.2% copper
Bank 4 - 28.3% copper
Bank 5 - 28.3% copper
Bank 6 - 28.2% copper
Bank 7 - 27.8% copper (boo)
Bank 8 - 28.6% copper
Bank 9 - 28.4% copper

Is this typical to have nearly identical totals from so many different banks? All rolls have been customer wraps, not boxes. I've also found some great coins including an 1898 Indian head on my second day of searching! I'll post pics as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for a great site. So fun to read.

Upvote 0

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, copper is fairly constant in the same areas. And about 25-30% copper is fairly typical, at least around here. Generally CWR end up producing a bit more than boxes, because you can be unlucky and get boxes with half brand new pennies, or even a solid box of 2011 cents.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I would suspect the percentage is the same for most banks within a given geographical region. For me, it's right at 27%.

I too got an indian head on my first box. On the one hand, it's pretty freakin' cool! On the other, it may take years to get another one. I think that's how they suck us in... ::)

OP
OP
R

RoyHalladay

May 16, 2011
Former teller - I think you're right. Hopefully it won't take forever to get another Indian head. It was so cool to pull that one.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you are getting more than 25% you are extremely lucky.

if you do a large amount per week in the thousands of face you will see the law of averages catch up with you and bring you down to a realistic 17-22%

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Bigheed said:

if you do a large amount per week in the thousands of face you will see the law of averages catch up with you and bring you down to a realistic 17-22%

You're doing thousands of dollars of pennies each week? :o

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Bigheed said:

No.. they're on the east coast. West coast average are like 17-22% and east coast averages are 25-30%.

I never understood why that is so on the pennies. Anyone have any guesses? Since it was in 1982 that they made the switch.

dp2013

Sep 11, 2008
I've been at it since June of 2007. I average a little less than 1 1/2 boxes a week. I do mostly CWR's. I live on the east coast. I weigh the 82's so the copper 82's are counted in my percentages. Over the last year I've been pulling right at 24% copper. Prior to that I was steady in the 21 to 23% range. I'm not sure why the percentages have gone up but I'm all for it.

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
SFBayArea said:
Bigheed said:

No.. they're on the east coast. West coast average are like 17-22% and east coast averages are 25-30%.

I never understood why that is so on the pennies. Anyone have any guesses? Since it was in 1982 that they made the switch.

My only guess would be because your numbers are pulled out of thin air since you haven't hunted on the east coast and have nothing to base your stats on except hearsay and feelings. Which means if your stats are baseless then my reply means nothing as well. Well phooey.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
JD-GA said:
SFBayArea said:
Bigheed said:

My only guess would be because your numbers are pulled out of thin air since you haven't hunted on the east coast and have nothing to base your stats on except hearsay and feelings. Which means if your stats are baseless then my reply means nothing as well. Well phooey.

No, don't make assumptions. Somehow, I get the feeling that you're not too warm and fuzzy towards my posts. There's a slight subtlety in your posts in leaning a certain way.. hmm. I don't really have any feeling about percentages of copper here vs out east. It's just lower out here. As long as it's consistant, I don't care. As far as silver, that's a different story. I have a decent memory and I do keep mental notes of copper averages posted by members here. I don't really consider Alabama or GA as really east coast, it's the south. East Coast meaning along the Alantic coast touching the ocean states (mostly from what I see in posts by members in the Northeast). Look at the Halladay's averages, we don't get that out here. Every so often one might get a box above 25% but it's usually 17-22%.

I am willing to bet that I am correct. Look at previous posts by members here in the northeast and they will back up my assertion. If you're going to criticize someone for their post, please back it up with facts. Don't just throw in a baseless comment without some facts to back it up. We have enough of those posters here.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
dp2013 said:
Fact: GA touches the ocean.

True.. I admit I was wrong on that. I got mixed up with Alabama in my mind. however when people usually say they're from the east coast.. they usually don't mean Georgia. Most people from Georgia would say they're from the south. I'm sure everyone has a sense of regional pride and distinction.

Let me revise. Northeast Coast penny box averages are higher than the average out here.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
byrne3 said:
Fact #1:
Copper percentages on the west coast vary between 0% and 100%

Fact #2:
Copper percentages on the east coast vary between 0% and 100%

This is such a dead subject.. it's averages here. One can get of 100% copper if some one turned a box in that has been stored in their basement for 30 years. However when it's boxes that come from their sorting facility (ie Brinks etc), I have yet to see 100% copper box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions