Searching coins for varieties and errors

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a question for those who search coins (particularly pennies) for varieties and errors, including recent dates.

How do you do this efficiently? I've found some good references for what errors and varieties to look for for which dates, but it's taking me way too long, and I'm not convinced I'm even being thorough enough if I'm going to find some of the minor double dies and whatnot.

Do you you sort by date and mint first, then check them all one date at a time? Or do you just grab a handful unsorted, checking each one based on the varieties you've memorized for that date? Do you just check each one for any kind of anomaly? Do you completely skip damaged or badly corroded ones? (even though some varieties are valuable even in lousy condition). Do you just completely skip years/mint-marks without any known significant varieties?

What about die trails and wavy steps? Do these have value? I just learned about them recently, and I know I've seen a few, but I just assumed they were some sort of worn or degraded die, not a variety.

I'm using a jeweler's loupe style triplet magnifier right now. Is there some other kind that is more efficient/comfortable for sorting through thousands of coins?

Upvote 0

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
This is my main reason for CRH and it has taken me a long time to find a system. I usually break the cents down by decade and then year. I do check every year and mintmark, there are too many varieties and errors out there not to. I am guessing since you know about trail dies and wavy steps you are up on your on line resources? I use coppercoins.com which has the best database out there for errors, rpms, and varieties. There are also links to other resources for cents like the ones you have mentioned including die clashes. I also use a 16X jewelers loupe to search but soon I plan on getting a digital microscope so I can take pics as well. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
captainfwiffo

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, thanks for the information. I think it's going to come down to me getting into a routine for the points to look at on each coin, and also coming up with a configuration of working surface, magnifier, chair and light that lets me go through them at a fast enough pace and not kill my back.

Of all the denominations I've gone through so far, pennies have been the most fun because there's at least a handful of wheats in every box, so no getting skunked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread