Hit my first reject tray today...

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I was unaware my local bank branch had two Coinstar machines. They are located in a lobby that I rarely use to enter the bank.

I went today to make a deposit and afterwards I went over to the machines to look around in the trays on top. There was just some trash down in there. Checked the slots on the bottom but they were all empty.

Anyway, I was about to head out when I noticed that everyone had been tossing their rejected coins into a potted plant next to the machines. I rooted through there for about a minute or two and found a bunch of coins. Most were crusted-up Lincoln cents that look like they had been in a car floorboard or puddle of cola for years, but I did manage to find one 1964 Roosevelt Dime in pretty good condition. A very detailed AU coin if not for a very slight amount of white film-looking stuff on it.

Also found a couple of foreign coins and a Namco gaming token with what appears to be Pac Man on it.

I know only finding one silver dime isn't that big a deal, but it was still a pretty fun experience. I will have to try this somewhere else next time I am out making my rounds. Thanks to all you CRH guys for the heads up on this method of finding silver!

Upvote 0

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you should get an award for clever name. Pretty sneaky.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
awesome find!!! when i was little i would go around to all of the plants in the local mall, that were sat around the edges of the halls, and look thru them, and ALWAYS find change that people would just throw in them...plants are apparently very productive :laughing9:
keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
Anyway, I was about to head out when I noticed that everyone had been tossing their rejected coins into a potted plant next to the machines. I rooted through there for about a minute or two and found a bunch of coins. Most were crusted-up Lincoln cents that look like they had been in a car floorboard or puddle of cola for years, but I did manage to find one 1964 Roosevelt Dime in pretty good condition. A very detailed AU coin if not for a very slight amount of white film-looking stuff on it.

LOL i had forgotten that , at the TDs i go to i also find coins . mostly foreign tho

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
When I took my kids to Disneyworld, my 6 year old son was found diving for coins in one of the fountains. I couldn't stop laughing but his mother wasn't thrilled. One of the park employees told me they deal with this on a regular basis. JP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions