Cant decide if I should order more from new bank...

db23

Mar 18, 2011
Can't decide if I should order more from new bank...

So I ordered from a few new banks last week and just picked up from one today – 4 boxes of halves.

Of the 4, 3 were unmarked and were skunks. The 4th however was stamped 4447 and contained 1 90% and 17 40%. I’m in debates about ordering from them again. Do I risk getting 4 unmarked next week and have to dump 4 complete skunks? OR… Do I order another 4 thinking that those 3 unmarked boxes were the dust on top of a pile of silver?

Decisions Decisions! ???

Upvote 0

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Re: Can't decide if I should order more from new bank...

It doesn't matter whether they have numbers on them or not. I've gotten ones before with numbers and found keepers but all the ones I get now don't have numbers. What happened to 50 boxes? I really wanted to see the results of 50 boxes. ;D

OP
OP
db23

db23

Mar 18, 2011

SFBayArea said:
It doesn't matter whether they have numbers on them or not. I've gotten ones before with numbers and found keepers but all the ones I get now don't have numbers. What happened to 50 boxes? I really wanted to see the results of 50 boxes. ;D
I'll post the results later this evening when I finish the dime boxes I picked up this morning... But due to a bank not having my boxes, it wound up only being 44 half boxes for the week :(

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Talk about a good problem to have. Where do you people live that you have the opportunity to get 44 boxes in a week? I'd be happy if I managed to get one box of halves a week.

OP
OP
db23

db23

Mar 18, 2011

captainfwiffo said:
Talk about a good problem to have. Where do you people live that you have the opportunity to get 44 boxes in a week? I'd be happy if I managed to get one box of halves a week.
I'm right outside NYC to the north... I am very close to 4 different federal reserve bank districts too. ;D

bsktbllsam

Apr 16, 2011

db23 said:
captainfwiffo said:
I'm right outside NYC to the north... I am very close to 4 different federal reserve bank districts too. ;D
I am also just north of nyc, and almost every single bank I go to says they no longer order boxes of halves or they charge a fee, I only have 2 or 3 banks that will order me a box every other week.

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've had a lot of banks tell me that they flat out won't order halves or dollar coins (not large dollars mind you - dollar coins period). I'd happily pay a fee at this point to get my hands on some fresh halves.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

captainfwiffo said:
I've had a lot of banks tell me that they flat out won't order halves or dollar coins (not large dollars mind you - dollar coins period). I'd happily pay a fee at this point to get my hands on some fresh halves.

Does the US mint still have that program where they send you dollar coins in the mail with no charge for face value because they want to get rid of the darn things?

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

db23 said:
SFBayArea said:
I'll post the results later this evening when I finish the dime boxes I picked up this morning... But due to a bank not having my boxes, it wound up only being 44 half boxes for the week :(

Perhaps, you bled them dry. LOL

I remember getting some writing a while back on one of my boxes and they wrote 88 boxes on it. I guessed it was an inventory check and they had 88 boxes on hand at one time or at least on the one pallet. I'm always curious how much in halves they usually have on hand. If people exceed it, they're forced to get new coin orders from the FED or just say they don't have any which has happened. There 4 FED districts where you are so you're probably going to be ok.

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SFBayArea said:
Does the US mint still have that program where they send you dollar coins in the mail with no charge for face value because they want to get rid of the darn things?
Yep, I have ten BU rolls of 2011 Native American Treaty dollars acquired exactly this way. Well nine - I've opened one and spent half of it. But I'm not actually hunting uncirculated dollars, and you can't get old silver halves this way.

I got them with the intention of spending them all (after checking for errors, of course). The mint could save half a billion dollars a year if we stopped printing stupid paper $1 dollar bills and switched over to coin for that denomination like every other developed country on Earth. Unfortunately, Americans are the must stubborn, pig-headed people anywhere and never accept any kind of change no matter what, even if it saves them time and money. I mean, seriously, join the 19th century and use freaking metric already.

So I do my part, using metric, a 24-hour clock, LED lighting fixtures and dollar coins and return my $1 bills that I get in change to the bank.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions