ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To try and boost my dismal May totals, I hit the road. I travelled round trip 320 miles to 12 towns hitting 41 different banks. I found $2613 in halves to search, and only 3 banks produced silver. It definitely was nowhere near my best trip, but it wasn't my worst either. When I first began doing this, halves would usually "hang around" at banks after being cashed in. At one bank last year, I scored a few rolls that had been in their vault for over a year. Most banks here see very few halves just like always, but they would have a chance to accumulate over time as very few folks were asking for them. Now they go out about as fast as they come in. Its a lot more about luck and timing than it used to be...at least in my area.

Total take: 2 90% Kens, 32 40% Kens

- I thought I had scored my very first silver from a teller's tray at my first stop. While she was in the back retrieving my halves, I noticed 2 silver looking rims in the quarter section of her tray. Both 1974 Canadian. >:(

- After visiting hundreds and hundreds of different banks I finally found a bank selling ASE's. Unfortunately they were priced at $58.45 each.

- My best stop was at a bank that had $214.50 in halves that they were ecstatic to get rid of. After hearing that sweet sound, I was equally as ecstatic to get them (23 40%, 1 90%). After looking at them, they were all very shiny. TOO shiny. Even the 40%ers had that bright shiny copper rim that looked very clad. None of the coins were anywhere near AU grade quality, just very shiny and very clean. The only explanation I can come up with is that someone washed them, or maybe even tumbled them all together. Every coin looked the same. Never seen that one before.

Upvote 0

AgentX

Dec 21, 2010
34 Keepers isn't a bad day at all!

320 miles is a long haul. I'm running into the same problem in my area. The halves never have time to accumulate and they fly out the door as soon as they come in. It's getting more and more difficult to find them in the wild.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sold road trip there. I need to get out on one soon.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arkiebassman,
Nice finds. I hope you enjoyed your trip--I sure would have!

Hope you score lots more from the silver goddess,

apush :read2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread