goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't use any kind of book. When coins are exposed to air, they can tarnish easily. Anything cardboard is also no advisable, as those are usually not the best quality. Some books are made of plastic, with clear viewing windows, but make sure it is archival safe, no vinyl. Personally, books are not worth the trouble and they can damage coins, so I keep mine in tubes

HH
-GC

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dansco books are popular and hold the coins securely. They are also kept up-to-date, so you can get new pages down the road, and there is a huge selection of different albums (e.g. you can get an album for all lincoln cents, or just wheats, or just memorial cents, or any of those with or without slots for proofs). The reviews are mixed on whether they're archival safe, so I only use them for circulated coins that aren't particularly valuable. You can get slip cases for these separately which allegedly provide additional protection.

Intercept Shield are supposed to be completely archival safe and contain a sacrificial buffering material that neutralizes harmful gases. They are not as easy to find, are pretty expensive, and I don't know if they're kept up to date.

Whitman are the blue folders you're probably familiar with. They will tone coins. But they're easy and cheap, great for kids collecting circulating coins.

For valuable coins, you can keep them in individual 2x2 cardboard/mylar holders (make sure it's /mylar AKA PET, and not vinyl AKA PVC) or mylar flips (e.g. Saflips). Get really valuable coins graded slabbed if you want to protect them.

Of course, no matter what, keep them away from heat and humidity and anything sulfurous or acidic.

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally my hoard is in rolls. Unless you have MS 65 or better quality coin or older historic coin the high silver prices are making numismatic value irrelevant to the melt value, so I save space and roll. But if nicer then yes protect and or display. Personally I like keeping all my coin in rolls and in ammo cans for easy transportation or as easy as you can make lugging heavy metal around:) But if you like to look at your coins then forget all I just said.

sitman

Aug 2, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70
I personally have always liked the old Library of Coins albums which were last made in the 1960s. They have heavy cardboard pages with plastic slides for viewing both sides of the coins. I have used them for years, and I have never had any issues with toning. At the time, they were the only albums which would house all U.S. and Canadian coins from half cents to silver dollars, including commemorative coins, starting with the first year of issue of each series. The downsides are that there are no albums for modern series like Anthony dollars, and that they are popular with a lot of people, thus driving up the cost for some of the rarer albums.

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
sitman said:
I personally have always liked the old Library of Coins albums which were last made in the 1960s. They have heavy cardboard pages with plastic slides for viewing both sides of the coins. I have used them for years, and I have never had any issues with toning. At the time, they were the only albums which would house all U.S. and Canadian coins from half cents to silver dollars, including commemorative coins, starting with the first year of issue of each series. The downsides are that there are no albums for modern series like Anthony dollars, and that they are popular with a lot of people, thus driving up the cost for some of the rarer albums.

I have a stack of these I just picked up recently. All the standard ones, both type set books, and a "World Crown/Silver Dollar Size" book.

I like them a lot, but I don't think I could ever fill them up... :'(

librarycoins.jpg

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
goldencoin said:
I wouldn't use any kind of book. When coins are exposed to air, they can tarnish easily. Anything cardboard is also no advisable, as those are usually not the best quality. Some books are made of plastic, with clear viewing windows, but make sure it is archival safe, no vinyl. Personally, books are not worth the trouble and they can damage coins, so I keep mine in tubes

HH
-GC

Ahh but you're wrong. The right type of toning (ie Rainbow toning) can bring you moon money on Feebay if certified by PCGS. In fact, people put coins into certain folders to develop the right type of album toning. Wayte Raymond is a famous type for toning coins.

sitman

Aug 2, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
I have a stack of these I just picked up recently. All the standard ones, both type set books, and a "World Crown/Silver Dollar Size" book.

I like them a lot, but I don't think I could ever fill them up...

Nice set! It's always good to have some open holes so you have goals to work towards. What fun is it to be a collector and have nothing left to collect?

mjh955

Feb 12, 2011
Norcal
I use the littleton albums since they are made in the U.S. The Whitman are made in China. I'm not sure about other brands.

HH everyone!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread