Bank Gives Me An Extra 1K.....Again.

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Went in an picked up 1K in dimes today and got talking with the teller as another was getting them out of vault. Got both bags and said thanks and left. 30 minutes later as I am picking up more dimes I realized I had way too much money and realized I never paid the 1st bank. When I went back, the teller had no idea I had not paid. She was obviously very thankful I came back.

This makes 3 times in past 4 months banks have tried to give me their money for free. The other 2 times - - In February I dumped $600 in halves and teller gave me back $1600. Last month I had $2500 in dimes to dump and teller gave me back 3K. Not sure what criteria is in order to lose your job at a bank, but guessing shorting your drawer $500 to 1K might be on the list. Just to clarify, I pointed out tellers errors in other 2 instances and gave back the difference.

Upvote 0

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
yea it is their mistakes... but i am pretty sure they still can get cops on you if they know you got it... but nice to be honest :icon_thumright:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, in the old days, I woulda said, "Where'd ya say them banks was, pardner"? sorry :icon_scratch:
But, even then, default to honesty, was always the policy.
Don't ya hate, when that has to happen? hehehehe :laughing7:

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
this kind of thing happens to me too. you have to watch them. sometimes they give you an extra grand and sometimes they short you a grand. if you did not say anything i think they can find it at the end of the day when they balance the drawer or the vault. the tellers always fill out the paper work before they take or give me boxes or bags.
even had one bank call me late one evening and insist that they shorted me a grand. i had to argue with them for several minutes that they had not. the vault teller said she was a grand over and i was the only customer that had a vault transaction that day. i told her to hold on and i would recount my boxes ( i was doing 20 at a time). when i counted my 20 boxes again and knew that i had them all i returned to the phone and told her that i had all my boxes and her overage must be someplace else.
the next day i stopped by the bank and the vault teller told me that she had found the overage. seems that another teller did a vault transaction while the vault teller was at lunch.
it would have been very easy for me to take the grand when she called me, but i knew she would find the error sooner or later and i would have looked bad for taking it. point honesty is the best policy because you will be found out sooner or later.

OP
OP
MentalUnrest

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
I should note that all 3 banks had no idea who I was. They know my face and that is it. I always get cash and never make a transaction where they look up my account. So all 3 times this has happened, they had no name or anything to go off of if and when they discovered the error. It did not sway my decision to do the right thing, but had I chosen the dishonest path, the tellers had zero info on me in order to track me down.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
MentalUnrest said:
I should note that all 3 banks had no idea who I was. They know my face and that is it. I always get cash and never make a transaction where they look up my account. So all 3 times this has happened, they had no name or anything to go off of if and when they discovered the error. It did not sway my decision to do the right thing, but had I chosen the dishonest path, the tellers had zero info on me in order to track me down.

At the end of the day when they came up short, they would have figured out it was you, even if they didn't know your name. Assuming you have an account there, they would track you down eventually. Even if you didn't have an account, they could and would get the pictures from the cameras and track you down one way or the other. The police would be involved only as a last resort, though that option is always on the table for the bank manager.

edit - I say you theoretically; not meaning to accuse or suggest that you would do anything dishonest.

HH!

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
At least when/where I was a teller, if our tills were over or short we'd typically not get too worked up about it for two days as the errors would usually be found either as an offset to another teller's till (i.e., you give another teller a bundle of tens and not record it properly) or when your checks and tickets went to the proofing department at the operations center.

Unless it was an obscene amount you lost ($1000+), you'd typically be put on probation for anything over $100, and then be dismissed for another $100+ loss with 3 months.

bnicholas26

Apr 25, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bare Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there's always cameras outside the banks too. your license plate as much ID as they need to find you....

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, don't underestimate the system.

I was given a bank bag with over $20,000 in it.

They were glad to see me, after some denial and confusion. ;D

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
a few occasions for me:

1. the coin machine at my dump bank overpaid me by $172.00...i told them, they audited the machine bags, and said they couldnt find the error, so they HAD to pay me what the machine said.

2. a bank teller overpaid me $2.00, yes, thats right, $2.00...i didnt even notice since im handling so much cash all the time, $2.00 wasnt very important for me to have even noticed...that night, the teller calls me, and said she overpaid me $2.00 and asked if THE NEXT DAY (kind of rude to specify a time imo) i could bring the $2.00 friggin dollars back...waisted like $5.00 gas money, so i could give the bank some of my money :laughing9: but i did it anyway, and they were usually a VERY snotty group of tellers there...ever since they are super nice, and give me MANY extra boxes...it pays off to do the right thing.

3. once, a teller saved me a 1950 $100 dollar bill, so i asked if i could buy that and a box of nickels...well, we both forgot about the old hundred dollar bill, and i paid for my nickels and went on my way, but he remembered right as i was about to step out of the bank, and started calling my name, i checked, and sure enough, he handed me the old hundred dollar bill and never charged me for it.

sorry to steal the thread...keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]

dpy52081

Feb 16, 2011
Long Island, NY
There have been times I have benefit from uncycled coins from a machine at TD bank being credited to me, no more than 60 bucks at a clip.

Telling the people that you owe them $$ is good Karma dude.

ancesthntr

Apr 15, 2011
It is best to be honest. First, you can look yourself in the mirror without hating the person looking back at you. Second, they WILL catch you. Third, what goes around comes around.

I've never had anything like this happen, but I was shorted $2 of halves once when dumping. I chalked it up to the rolls I got being short. The next time I came in, one of the tellers says "are you the "half dollar guy?" I said yes, and she brought out an envelope with the $2 in it. Seems that the coins missed the coin counter. I wouldn't have missed the $2, but I really appreciated the honesty. The person who found it could likely have pocketed the money, but decided to be honest.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I deal with no where near the amount of coin most of you deal with, but once I was getting a box of dimes and a box of nickels($350 total), but the teller was getting it from the $500 I was dumping there, so I should have gotten back $150, but she gave me $250. I counted it and told her she gave me too much, she blushed and thanked me, it is best to be honest, like someone else said, they will find you one way or another, and karma pays off in the long run.

tgcougar

Jun 8, 2011
Not saying anything against (or for) anyone posting to this thread, but isn't it something that we are even talking about "doing the right thing", as if society's expectation is to just profit from the mistakes of others?

We've come a long way from the 1950's, but sometimes I think it was in the wrong direction!

I was born in the mid 60's, so I'm not a grumpy old goat (at least just not yet!), nor a 'bleeding heart liberal', but I think I'm different than my peers.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats Crazy....Same thing happen to me..just not as much, i asked for 250 in dimes, and she had to get it from all the tellers...she was totally nice about it..So i got my box...walked to the car and relized i had the 250 still in my pockets...and trust me..she was EXTREMLY thankful i returned that, because I guess it would have been taking out of her till

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread