PTBT Syndrome

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never thought I'd admit this, or discuss it with anyone but closest family, but I see y'all are experienced CRH'ers all, much more than me, and I do need help.

Maybe about 2 years ago, I bought my first box of halves and found 2 or 3 40% silver halves, I don't remember, but a few coins. I was thrilled. I got another box, and found a couple more. I think I had about a half dozen at that point, and I was having fun. I thought if this keeps up, I have a great new hobby. I bought a third box - and almost every roll had several silver coins. It was like manna falling from heaven. I don't remember exactly, but I ended up with almost 8 rolls of silver halves from that one box. I was giddy with girlish delight, I can tell you.

I rushed out to order more boxes. Well, the next dozen or so I got NADA, zilch, zero, nothing. I was crushed. My son said they were sending back the same coins I'd already searched. I don't know, I should have marked some coins. I gave up CRH'ing. Just recently I sold about 6 rolls on eBay, and somehow that's got me thinking about getting more.

But psychologically, I can hardly stand the thought of coming up empty on another box. I keep remembering that box full of silver and can't get over the fact I never found another silver coin in a box. I've gotten a few silver halves from the tellers since then, and I've just recently started MD'ing, and found a walking liberty, 5 mercs, 1 1912 barber dime and 3 rosies. I've also made some insane buys of sterling jewelry at estate sales run by the families - not a good idea to do it yourselves if you don't value, or don't understand, the deceased possessions. That was a lot of fun, and I'm going to keep detecting and going to estate sales, but I really like finding silver while sitting on my backside. Is it still worth it to look? I figured with the price of silver so high, everyone is doing it, and maybe that's why I didn't find any more.

Upvote 0

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same problem, did some boxes when I first got started, then went on the road and killed it. I'm talking at one bank 7 rolls of nothing but walkers and bens. Then the boxes just give a couple and I'm disappointed, so i quit. Well I just started back up after 8 months off and the finds are less and i wish I hadn't quit, but it's still fun to add to the pile. I did miss the thrill of the hunt, and think more and more people are buying/grabbing at the bank/CRHing so finds will slim, but it's still out there.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you got skunked. It happens. I have gone weeks without finding a silver coin. Its part of the hobby, get used to the skunks and enjoy the silver you do find.

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
Life is full of ups and downs. CRH is no different. There are lots of places to get coins out there, mix it up a little and keep working on your other new hobbies. I remember last year several guys were talking about how slow it was in August, I had a great August. It will bounce back, stay after it.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
You can roll hunt and dirtfish too! To me, detecting is so much more satisfying, but I still love to roll hunt. I don't seem to have much time to do either lately.

OP
OP
scaupus

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I actually feel like doing it again. Maybe some dime boxes for a change. One problem is that my dump bank, Bank Atlantic has started charging customers a 5% fee to use the counting machine, and I'm not willing to give up 1% let alone 5% so I'll have to re-roll them myself.

Does anyone think it's likely I was getting the same coins back in some boxes?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
scaupus said:
Thanks, I actually feel like doing it again. Maybe some dime boxes for a change. One problem is that my dump bank, Bank Atlantic has started charging customers a 5% fee to use the counting machine, and I'm not willing to give up 1% let alone 5% so I'll have to re-roll them myself.

Does anyone think it's likely I was getting the same coins back in some boxes?
It's funny, one CU that I belong to has a nice counter. They charge a fee to use it, and they will not accept rolled coin, although "gold star" members holding a certain minimum $ amount in their accounts, are not charged a fee. ffd

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Skunks?

Man...I've had them. I get one box a week, and endured almost 20 straight skunk boxes. It is especially bad when dumping is so VERY difficult here.

Considering those 20 skunk boxes, you can buy silver cheaper from a coin shop.

My finds are still VERY slim, even when I do get a box. Last week, I pulled a single 40% out of two boxes.

Silver in our area is slim, and CRHing is a popular sport. It is much more popular than you think!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread