Dime score!

Moneypenny

Dec 30, 2010
Florida
I've been really busy the past few months (all good stuff!), so I've only gotten in a little CRH. Furthermore, after getting just 3 boxes of halves (ordered one at a time, and with good results--38 40%, 6 40%, and a skunk with a 1987-P) from my bank, they said they can't order coins for customers anymore. I've been picking up just a little every week--$20 dimes, $4 nickels, $1 pennies in CWR. Three weeks ago I got one silver Roosevelt dime in one of the rolls, and then... Two weeks ago I went to my regular bank (the one that won't order halves for me anymore) and after doing my regular banking asked for the usual rolled coin. A teller who knows me had to get it out from under the counter and casually said "We have silver dimes this time!" I quickly thought "Well... what else could 'silver dimes' mean but silver dimes?" And he plops on the counter along with the CWR nickels and pennies... 4 plastic tubes of dimes, obviously solid silver from the edges. I (trying to be casual) asked if there were any more, and he said "Nope, that's it." I know he would have told me if there were any halves, and since he didn't seem to mind giving away the dimes I guess he would have mentioned any similar quarters. I know I could have asked, but hey... it was a little hard to think... ;D

mercmania.jpg

Here's the total:
30 Mercs
170 silver Roosevelts
and 1 rogue 1966 Roosevelt

Unless I counted wrong, one roll must have had an extra, because after removing the clad one, the count was 200.

I only expect crazy stuff like this to happen to other Tnet members, not me! (especially since I'm far from a hardcore CRH-er right now)

Part II since I've put off taking a picture so long and didn't want to post without one... I went to another bank this week, and the teller told me that the other teller is on vacation, but when she gets back Monday she has in her drawer a bunch of silver dollars and half dollars. I'll be sure to post when I find out exactly what that means. :wink:

Upvote 0

alaskanfever

Mar 8, 2011
ALASKA
nice score i have never found a solid roll before but i was able to find 41 in a roll one time. so that is definatly an amazing find.

HH

RoyHalladay

May 16, 2011
You should keep that rogue 1966 dime. It seems to bring good luck. It likes to associate itself with silver friends.

rfishoutofwater

Feb 11, 2011
PNW
Detector(s) used
garret 350
Nice score. I myself got solid rolls of silver dimes a week ago or so for a total of 6 rolls. It's out there. I would definately check back with them as more may roll in. Keep it up and HH.

gold eye

Jan 2, 2010
tampa fl
Detector(s) used
garret masterhunter 7x ace 250
Congrats thats a great dime score looks like the silver god was shinning down on you keep up the hunt. happy huntig Ron

tgcougar

Jun 8, 2011
RoyHalladay said:
You should keep that rogue 1966 dime. It seems to bring good luck. It likes to associate itself with silver friends.

Uncle Scrooge's #1 dime?!

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Nice - :icon_thumright: I've only gotten dimes in plastic tubes once. They had four silvers dimes so not so impressive but I do like the tubes.

Maine_Jim

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great dime score. I'm hoping to one day hit a jackpot like that. I always do cwr instead of boxes just because you never know when you'll hit a score like that.

OP
OP
M

Moneypenny

Dec 30, 2010
Florida
timbobwey said:
Great dime score. I'm hoping to one day hit a jackpot like that. I always do cwr instead of boxes just because you never know when you'll hit a score like that.

I agree. For now I'm going to hold off on finding another bank to order boxes, and just stick with CWR and loose halves.

As for key dates, I've looked over the Mercs but haven't looked at all the Rosies yet. My guess from the plastic tubes is that this is from a collector who wouldn't mix any keys in with the junk silver, but I will definitely be looking them over soon.

Well, the result at the other bank was: $24 Ikes, $2 Susan B's (don't usually buy, but just to please the tellers), and $25.50 of halves, which yielded 1 40%er. I was happy to clear out their drawers though.

Thanks for the suggestions on the lucky 1966! ;)

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Great score on those dimes. Thanks for an inspirational photo as well.
It's out there for the finding....Trust me!
rileyboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread