non-skunk road trip and lessons learned

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Work got rained out this morning, so I was finally able to make a Saturday morning road trip. Hit several out of town banks, got $280 in CWR halves from one, $210 from another. Was passing through the outskirts of a fairly large town near a busy interstate, and figured it wouldn't be worth my time to stop there. However, one of my bank branches was there, so I stopped to check for halves and get a box of nickels. No halves, but the bank next door to them had 4 in the teller's tray. As I was pulling out 2 bucks, I saw a glimse of silver on one of the edges; looked like 40% to me. The teller picked up the half, looked at it closely, kind of shrugged and set it back down on the counter. I paid her and got out quick. Turned out she was looking at a '64 Ken, and one of the others was a '67!

On my way back home, close to closing time I stopped by a town that had a bank where I had found a silver dime in the only roll I got there. I had gotten off work early only one day this week, and had considered road tripping to this particular bank, but was too tired at the time and blew it off. I think I paid the price today, as when I asked them for halves, they said some old guy brought in about $100 worth last week, but somebody stopped by yesterday and bought them all. :sad11:*sigh*

Lessons learned:

1) you never know where you'll find silver
2) you snooze, you lose!

Ended up picking up about $400 in CWR dimes, $120 nickels, and the $490 in halves. Haven't had time to go through the rolls yet; will update if I find anything worthwhile.

HH all!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread