What happens when I spend Half Dollars in the Wild.

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I like to take a couple bucks worth of halves and dump them in “retail” locations. Typically, I dump them as a tip at a bar or restaurant. Some people appreciate them thinking they are all rare, especially the bicentennials. Waitresses love them, and seem to hoard them when they find them. Other people…well…some funny comments.

"What is this? This isn't real money!"
"Hey, half dollars, it is like I'm back in the 70s again!" - from an old polish bar in Milwaukee
"Cool, do you have any more, these are really rare!"

Feel free to add your own!

Upvote 0

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: What happens when I spent Half Dollars in the Wild.

You need more money, you gave me three quarters for a $1.30 bill.

Why did you give me all of these? These are dollar coins right?

I don't know where to put these in my drawer.

Shineythings

May 16, 2011

It's been my favorite hobby spending halves..every one thinks there dollar coins and spending large amounts of them and the amazing reactions there's nothing like the looks you receive when handing over two stacks of 20 coins.and then asking the employee next to them if they can accept that...or they say those are silver I'll split them with you...

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

They're cool if they only see a few of them.. not so cool when it's a lot of them

I once used $40 worth of halves at an IKEA store.. they didn't seem too happy then.

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011

I just recently put some of my halves in a clear donation box at mcdonalds.. i would love to see the reaction of people seeing those in there.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS

SFBayArea said:
They're cool if they only see a few of them.. not so cool when it's a lot of them

I once used $40 worth of halves at an IKEA store.. they didn't seem too happy then.

wtf? of course they werent happy! your supposed to spend IKE dollars at the IKEA store!!! whats wrong with you!?! :laughing9: jk.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

occassionally ill use them at lunch but i normally just dump all mine straight to the coin vault bags, so i rarely carry them. Really would just be if i got hungry while driving around on a teller road trip and had alot of loose junk at lunch time.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I love to give them to the kids at the HS football games when I park. They look at them kinda funny then one of the kids notices who I am and Shouts out, "That Is Coach, He collects those weird coins. They are ok to take". :laughing7: I chuckle everytime it happens.

Gave a student working at Wendys three 50 cent pieces. He counted them as dollars and started to give me change. I said to look at the denomination of the coin before giving me change. He too, was a track student.... :laughing7:

Texas Jed

Jan 24, 2007
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

About two years ago I went to the County Tax office and paid my truck registration in halves. It was like 75.00. The woman at the counter turned around and asked another lady if they accepted these, (holding up a half). The lady replied yes we have to, or should i say HALVE to. I did however need to stay at the counter while she counted them all.

It was by all accounts my best halve dump.
TJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread