Results, 2 boxes of pennies

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
Hi All,
Finally finished going through two boxes of pennies from the credit union (5000 pennies). Prior to that, I was inspecting each and every penny from a previous box under 5 power magnification (wow, did that take a while!), but more on that later.

Here's the results from the latest two boxes -
Wheats - 11 (1935, 1937, 1944, 1945 x3, 1950D, 1954D, 1956D, 1957, 1957D)
Canadian - didn't count them but at least 60-80, including a 1941 King George
Copper (1959-1981) - 1270

One of the wheats, a 1957, is in almost uncirculated condition, still quite bright and shiny. One of the 45's also has a fair amount of mint luster.

As I mentioned, I also just finished going through a previous box looking for mint errors. I'll report on that later when I have more time. No big finds, but a number of small surprises.
HH All,
Bob

PS Almost forgot - I also got a 1973 penny with Kennedy's outline stamped into it, just about nose-to-nose with Lincoln. ROTFL!

Upvote 0

AFModell

Feb 27, 2006
DE
Thats a pretty good wheat penny haul, congrats. I get about 5 or 6 per $25 in pennies, but the teller at the bank where I drop my coin off doesnt like small coins, so I get to stick to halves!!! Also, I hardly ever ever ever find canadian pennies in my boxes, but I am in Texas, so thatd be a long way for victoria to travel. I did get a $2 canadian coin in my halves the other day though.

I really cant wait to hear your results on the errors to.

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Congrats on the wheaties, 11 is pretty good. :) I'm also curious to hear about error results.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice wheat haul Bob. I've gotten a couple of those Kennedy-Lincoln pennies over the years. They're neat.

A friend of mine who knows I collect wheats saved me a 1957-D she got in pocket change. It's nice when you've got another pair of eyes looking for you.

OP
OP
HobBob

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
Hey All,
Sorry I haven't posted lately... I still haven't gone through my "error" coins in total, but I think that I may have pulled aside some coins that don't really qualify as errors.
What I have are a number of weak strikes, a few that have some irregularites on the plats (such as pebbling or plateaus), and a fair number that show a concentric ring (or rings) partially circling the perimeter of the coin (don't know what that condition is called).
Unfortunately, no type II's, off-center strikes, double dies, etc.

These two boxes have been a good learning experience. I'll put that experience to good use tomorrow when I snag a couple of more boxes. And I think there's a box of nickels somewhere in my future ::)
HH,
Bob

A

agbonanza

hobbob...great finds...11 more wheaties out of circulation...gotta love those wheaties...HH

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HobBob said:
a fair number that show a concentric ring (or rings) partially circling the perimeter of the coin (don't know what that condition is called).

You have what's called a "ridge ring," a phenomenon that isn't fully understood yet. It's believed to be associated with some deformation of the die.

OP
OP
HobBob

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
kalpinro said:
nice wheats! Wow that is a huge amount of Canadians..is that typical?
Yes, I seem to snag a lot of Canadian coins. My biggest single roll find was 48 out of 50, with US cents tucked in the ends to disguise the contents. We are only about 20 miles or so from the Canadian border, and see lots and lots of cars with Ontario license plates. I'm working through my newest box, and after about 6 rolls I have 6-8 Canadians (unfortunately, the pennies are upstairs and I am downstairs). Sometimes find some fairly old Canadian coins as well - I think 1940 or 1941 is my oldest, and have found a few in very nice shape.
Check out this post for pics of a very nice 1944 Canadian nickel I found in a roll:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,37709.msg262593.html#msg262593

HH,
Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread