Decisions, decisions... **Update**

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Picked up some halves at an out of town bank today. Was low on cash, and only bought $120 of the $270 they had in the vault. Of those I got, there was a nice 78 proof, a couple of NIFC, and no silver.

All the rolls had the same wrappers. I'm thinking the proof and NIFC could have been overlooked by someone looking for silver only, and these were somebody's dumps. On the other hand, 12 rolls is really a small sample size, so there may well be silver there.

I won't be back there for business for awhile, and I already checked all the other banks in that area. Now I'm debating whether to make the road trip on my own time, for what is essentially a gamble.

:icon_scratch:

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Re: Decisions, decisions...

I have picked up a group of CWRs before and all would be skunks except one roll, that had many silvers in it. That does not happen often but has happened to me. Sometimes the teller has a stash from a CRHer but also has a roll or two that somebody else deposited but it has silver in it.

It is necessary to really be successful over time to have a bigger CRHing stash with you. I always carry at least $1000 when I am going to look for halves. If you are only getting part of a stash you might be missing out on potential keepers. I have never gone on a "road trip" specifically to look for halves, but if I was going to do that I would take even more $$$$ with me. You can always dump the rejects when you get home and start over again.

Jim

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

I hear ya, FT. I'm in the same boat.

There is a bank somewhere on the south side of the big city, that had $450 in rolled halves on hand. I bought $170 of rolled halves, all were skunks.

I know I should rush back there and buy the rest, but since dumping is so difficult for me...I already have enough skunks to dump!!!!

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hit it next time for sure, you never know :icon_thumleft:

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009

A basic pretty good rule to go by is "buy them all". Unless they are short you really have nothing to lose. Besides , any veteran here will tell you how often silver is found with a big dump.
I recently almost missed a good score cause i didnt think it was worth it. In fact the only reason i said yes was the friendly teller was mentioning how they hate having the big coins in the vault.

Phantomfe3

Jan 31, 2011

im sure a couple have passed through the hands of searchers that only edge check.

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Well, I stopped by today to pick up the remaining $150. Sure enough, 3 of the rolls were different. Unfortunately, they were string rolls that had been opened and folded shut. Found nothing out of the lot except another 2006 in nice condition.

On a related note, in a different nearby town I found a bank that had $480 in halves. Due to the vault teller being at lunch, they could only give the $80 that they had on hand. All string rolls, opened and re-closed. *sigh*

On the bright side, I got the vault teller's name, so I will call her tomorrow to inquire about what kind of rolls are remaining. If they're the same as what I picked up, I'm leaving them for the next guy...

Thanks for all your comment, and HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread