OP
I

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only the 1964's are shiny. Back in Feb. I started finding them and six months later they're still turning up. Someone must have dumped a bunch of them there.

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can you like sell the new star notes for more money at a collectable show

OP
OP
I

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whitesid said:
can you like sell the new star notes for more money at a collectable show

I doubt it. I collect them just as curios. If they ever go up in value in my lifetime I'd be amazed.

Tabfry

Mar 29, 2006
Seattle area
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Immy said:
Only the 1964's are shiny. Back in Feb. I started finding them and six months later they're still turning up. Someone must have dumped a bunch of them there.

I live here in Wa state and have found a couple '64 Canadians in my change that look almost brand new. Maybe they teflon coated all the pennies in that year and that's why they keep looking so good! ;D

Rowdy

Jun 11, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
Immy said:
Plus I got a 2003 $1 star note from the Atlanta Fed. Reserve (F) my first one from that bank.

O.K., I'll fess up to being a dummy!

WTF is a star note?!?!?!

Showtime

Jul 4, 2006
Northern Virginia
A star note is a note with the serial number ending in a * rather then a letter. It's the law that the mint has to make bills for the complete range for each serial number so when a bill gets messed up in a series for example bill AB34567890C gets messsed up they would print AB34567890* and put it into circulation in it's place. They are fun to find because they are basically in existance because of mint mistakes. they usually aren't worth much over face value but fun to collect none the less.

OP
OP
I

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Star notes also represent the 100 millionth and last note in a series. Since serial #s have only eight digits the eighth zero becomes a star (ex: AB10000000*).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread