My recent road trip results...

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
My wife and I were able to take some time for a road trip. We don't normally have time for road trips, and with gas being so expensive, our road trips are few and far between.

Instead of taking the interstate, we traveled a few old state roads that parallel the interstate, hitting small towns across the state.

Since we were on a business trip, and wouldn't be back to my dumping grounds for a few days, I didn't have an easy way to dump. I set my limit at $200 worth of halves.

We hit a ton of banks, buying up to $250 each time. (I only left one bank that had $400 in the vault). Someone must have been working this area VERY hard, because I heard again and again, "I have some halves, but if you are looking for silver, these have been searched." This is unusual because I don't hear that very often.

The beauty of the trip is that, along the way, I found 3 different banks where I have an account...an awesome opportunity to dump!!!!! I was able to dump nearly every thing I had...the timing worked out perfectly!!!!!!!!!

We searched about $700 worth of halves in total.

Total finds:

5-40%...a '65, '66, '67, '68 and a '69...we found these individually

Then...we stopped at a McDonald's for a Coke...our last stop of the trip...and I got a MERC in change!!!!!! A 1940 in beautiful condition!!!!! I was so thrilled!!!! The cashier checked the rest of the dimes for me, but that was the only one left. What are the odds? I finally got a Merc in change...only the second time in my life that this has happened!!!!!

Thanks everyone for letting me share!!!!!

Upvote 0

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats awesome, its still out there for sure !!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice score!!! someone probrably spent it thinking it was fake, your benefit their loss. :thumbsup:

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clovis97 said:
...Then...we stopped at a McDonald's for a Coke...our last stop of the trip...and I got a MERC in change!!!!!! A 1940 in beautiful condition!!!!! I was so thrilled!!!! The cashier checked the rest of the dimes for me, but that was the only one left. What are the odds? I finally got a Merc in change...only the second time in my life that this has happened!!!!!

ONLY the second time?? Many of us are still looking for the first time. ;D I'm 41 years old and my father had me searching dates as soon as I was big enough. Every piece of change I have ever gotten has been searched. Never found a single silver. Ever.

Decent little trip. :icon_thumleft: Spent some quality time with the wife and got a little silver. Never, ever forget that many a 40%er have been found in "searched" rolls.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
ArkieBassMan said:
clovis97 said:
...Then...we stopped at a McDonald's for a Coke...our last stop of the trip...and I got a MERC in change!!!!!! A 1940 in beautiful condition!!!!! I was so thrilled!!!! The cashier checked the rest of the dimes for me, but that was the only one left. What are the odds? I finally got a Merc in change...only the second time in my life that this has happened!!!!!

ONLY the second time?? Many of us are still looking for the first time. ;D I'm 41 years old and my father had me searching dates as soon as I was big enough. Every piece of change I have ever gotten has been searched. Never found a single silver. Ever.

Decent little trip. :icon_thumleft: Spent some quality time with the wife and got a little silver. Never, ever forget that many a 40%er have been found in "searched" rolls.

Yeah...this is the second time in my life that I got a Merc in change.

The first time must have been in '94 or so. I was sure I had a million dollar coin. I took it to the coin shop, and my excitement was quickly deflated. "Oh, a Mercury dime? You got it in change? We sell those between 40 cents and $1, but some cost more than that."

So much for buying a new Camaro, or retiring early on that Merc, LOL!

I put it in a hardware organizer with some other wheats, an Indian, and a few old nickels that I had also found in change over the years. When I started CRHing last year, I added those to my small CRH stash.

I really thought I would live the rest of my life and never find a single Merc again in change. I about fell out of my chair when my wife pulled a single Merc from a roll a few months ago...but I never imagined that I could get another Merc as long as I lived.

I think I am more excited about getting the Merc than I am about the five 40%'s.

And, yes, a good time spent with the wife, and we found a little silver too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread