Roll Hunting For Errors

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the same boat as killerwine. I tend to go thru coins so fast that unless it's very obvious (off-center, die break, die chip in the date or a clipped planchet) I won't bother. I've found enough examples of the easier-to-find common errors (bubbled planchets, misaligned dies) and their value is so minimal that it isn't worth saving more than one or two types of each, just as a reference. Once in awhile I'll come across something unusual that'll take a little research to ID (like a wire-edge strike I recently found) but for the most part the most common ones are tossed back.

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
Well, it's still kinda new to me, so I recently examined in detail both sides of about 1-1/2 boxes in pennies. Didn't find any big errors, but did find a number of minor things. I've got two more boxes I just went through to sort out wheats and 95% coppers, and I'll probably do them as well. If I still don't come up with anything significant, I may reconsider later. But right now, it's both educational and fun.
HH,
Bob

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I used to go through my cents like that, but haven't done much hunting in them lately. Halves I go through like fire, looking for silver and a few years of Doubles, but thats it.

Got lots of odd cents by going through them slowly, by the way. But like others, nothing of big value.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AFModell said:
Immy, whats a wire edge strike?

Here's the description from Minting Varieties and Errors 5th Edition by Alan Herbert:

"A coin struck with excessive pressure, forcing coin metal between the edge of the die and the collar, showing on the struck coin as a thin flange of coin metal formed at the outside edge or edges of the coin, at right angles to design rim."

The collar being the circular hole that holds the coin blank in place as it's struck by the dies. In simpler terms the edge of the coin has a pronounced raised area (about 1-2 mm in height) where metal was squeezed upwards due to too much pressure from the dies. If you were to look at the coin's edge it would look slightly wider than normal. No extra value, but a cool error nonetheless.

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on my first try at roll hunting, and I went through the $20 in pennies quickly the first time, pulled out 8 wheats, a 1942 Canadian, and a Barbados penny. Now, I'm going through them again, more carefully. I sort through each roll, and put aside the 4 major error dates for memorial pennys (1972 double die obverse, 1983 double die "one cent", 1984 double die ear, and 1995 double die liberty. I put aside those dates, and then check them all out under a magnifying glass. Nothing yet, but might as well check them, as each of those is worth quite a few bucks. I c an't see spendng the time looking through each coin carefully, looking for minor errors that aren't worth much, I just don't have that kind of free time, lol!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
killerwine said:
Can someone refresh my memory on type II cents?
Maybe he means variety II lincoln cent?That would be the '43 steel cent.I found this in a roll of 1971d uncirculated memorial cents.It's the only one like it but the rest look like the obverse is pushing through the reverse.I tried to get a picture but it wouldn't or rather I couldn't get it to show.Here's the one obvious one.What is this called?

Attachments

• Picture 20.jpg
    Picture 20.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 153
  • Picture 23.jpg
    Picture 23.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 156

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
Hi Guys,
The type II's that enamel7 asked about are described here:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,40273.0.html.
Immy wrote a good description:
"The type II's go like this -

In 1993 the mint started using slightly changed dies for the reverse of all proof cents (S mints). The old die shows the AM in America so close that they're just about touching at the base. The new style has a definite space between the base of the letters. All P & D cents from 1993 on have the closely spaced AM, but a few years were accidentally made with the new proof dies (with the AM spaced apart). The designer's initals are also slightly different in the new style. To date only 1998, 1999 & 2000 pennies have been found with the "wide AM" variety.

But get this. Recently a 1992 with a "close AM" has been found. All pre-1993 pennies are the "wide" style. Since the change took place in 1993, a 1992 with a "close AM" is probably a prototype test for the new design.

So check all pennies 1993-present for "wide AM" varieties and check 1992's for a "close AM". "

Hope this helps. Sorry it took so long for me to reply. Check out the pics I have attached. This is the greatest magnification I can scan in, but if you enlarge the two examples and look at the AM in America, you can see the difference.
HH,
Bob

Attachments

• type I example.jpg
    type I example.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 182
  • type II example.jpg
    type II example.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 168

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions