Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and didnt do too bad. Was hoping for a couple of war nicks, but not to be. Did find a very nice surprise tho, a 1964 triple clip error in very nice condition and a 1936 buff (thats 2 buffs this year). Ended up with the following:

Pre 1956 - 10
war nics - 0
speared bison - 0
foreign - 1 (2004 bahamas 5 cent)
Buffalo - 1 (1936)
error - 1 1964 triple clip

Upvote 0

Showtime

Jul 4, 2006
Northern Virginia
I think he means a clipped planchet. It looks like the coin actually has a bite taken out of it where a press clipped part of it off. A triple clip is crazy though can we get pictures ???

OP
OP
E

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not an error that would necessarily be mass produced like a die crack, double die, etc. A clipped planchet it produced when there is a misalignment from punching the blanks out. A blank is punched out, then the strip is shifted and the next blank punched out. A clip happens when the strip is not shifted properly and the blank is punched close to the previous punch, resulting in an incomplete blank. The blank looks like a circle with a curved piece of missing metal. It would be just like looking at the moon during part of its cycle. If you see a 3/4 moon, you will see a curved part of it 'missing'. That is what a clipped planchet looks like. The most common is a single clip (just like looking at a partial moon). Then you have a double clip (two curved pieces of missing metal from the edge), and also the triple clip (3 curved pieces of missing metal). There are also degrees of the clip, from a very small clip, to most of the coin area missing. I have found over the years all 3 (single, double and triple), just none more than 10% total area was missing. Last year I found a 40% half with a single straight clip (looks like someone took a file and filed a curved edge of the coin flat, but this was not man made, it is a mint error). When I get a chance in the next couple of days I will try to take pictures of all of the errors I have found roll searching over the past couple of years and will post them. Hope this explains it a little better. Below is a link to a site that has pictures of different types of errors, including multiple clipped coins.

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/ViewPersonalCollection.aspx?UserCollectionID=60

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions