Is This Walking Liberty a Fake? ** Pics **

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
I bought a bag off a Wells Fargo in a small town 30 minutes from me and so far it has been very interesting. I have got 6 40%s so far and a few foreign coins as well. I came across this WL and it really stands out and does not look like silver at all, yet it sounds like silver. The front has, what looks like dried tape, or maybe a melted spot on it. The back looks like just came from the mint. We all know what the old silver looks like, and this looks like a 2011 in terms of the shine. Like I said, it sounds like silver, but I have never seen something so new looking bearing a 1947 date. I do not have a scale to weigh it.

Attachments

• WL1.jpg
    WL1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,005
  • WL2.jpg
    WL2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 870
  • WL3.jpg
    WL3.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 718
Upvote 0

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
weigh it for 12.5g and do the drop test

byrne3

Mar 4, 2011
I think it's probably a genuine coin. It doesn't look like a new coin to me though. The high points on the coin are well worn. The shine is probably due to some sort of cleaning. As to the reason for the cleaning, probably due to the tape residue that you saw on the obverse.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several coin companies out there who
Advertise "Bright Shiney" silver coins for sale.

Of course at Over inflated Prices.

These companies use a High Polish process
on AG & Highly Circulated Coins.

You may have found one

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really polished, looks genuine. CONGRATS ON FINDING THE SILVER!!!!!! Though not from a box, you got silver, great job!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely the "tape" is some sort of adhesive where it was attached to a belt buckle or some other piece of jewelry. It has likely been plated/and or polished to make it very shiny. However, it most likely is a genuine Walker. I have found one of these myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread