Small Pile of Silver Halves w/Pics

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
For the heck of it I picked up a box of halves from a bank that I don't usually order halves from. I dump halves there sometimes though. The box had been opened and the rolls looked like they had been rerolled on one end. 4 rolls had 40% silver obverses showing on one end and silver reverses on the other. I set those aside and went through the rest first, only one other 40% found, a 1965, and it wasn't an ender. Then I turned my attention to the 4 double-ender rolls. The pics say it all.

Bob

Attachments

• 07012011-01.jpg
    07012011-01.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 607
  • 07012011-02.jpg
    07012011-02.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 613
  • 07012011-03.jpg
    07012011-03.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 614
  • 07012011-04.jpg
    07012011-04.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 611
  • 07012011-05.jpg
    07012011-05.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 610
  • 07012011-06.jpg
    07012011-06.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 609
Upvote 0
OP
OP
kb4iqm

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
For those that can't make it out, there was a solid roll of 1966, a solid roll of 1967, a solid roll of 1968, a solid roll of 1969 that I opened to get a side pic of, and a single 1965 that I didn't bother taking a pic of. 81 40%'ers from a box that looked to be someones dumps! I put all 4 rolls in plastic coin tubes.

Bob

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Bob,
Inspirational post. Congratulations on an excellent find. Nice pics too!
Thanks,
rileyboy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow! congrats on the nice haul!!! that's a pretty large pile of silver halves... Good job!

you're saying in the other 46 rolls only gave up a 1965, and the last 4 rolls with double enders were solid rolls???

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats pretty crazy lucky! they look like machine wrapped to??

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice score there, you never know where you'll find em. Great find, I've found some solid silver rolls before. Never 4 rolls in 1 day, got 2 in 1 day last year a couple times. Good feeling when you hit a silver score like that.

RP4L

Jun 3, 2011
Bigheed said:
thats pretty crazy lucky! they look like machine wrapped to??

I gather that they were hand crimped on one end.

Pretty odd find. I wonder if it came from some CRH'er that didn't know about 40%s?

OP
OP
kb4iqm

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
BuffaloBoy said:
wow! congrats on the nice haul!!! that's a pretty large pile of silver halves... Good job!

you're saying in the other 46 rolls only gave up a 1965, and the last 4 rolls with double enders were solid rolls???
The solid rolls stood out because of the silver enders. I picked those out and set them aside until last. One end on each and every roll looked like it had been opened, then carefully rolled back closed to try to make them look like unopened rolls. The opened end was a little irregular, not quite factory "precise" crimping on that one end. All rolls had all coins in each roll lined up facing the same direction, which was a dead giveaway they had been opened. All reverses were facing the unopened ends. I don't know why someone would go through all the trouble to fill solid 40% rolls of those 4 dates, then just put them back in the box with rolls of clads and sell them to the bank. Most of the rolls of clads were also sorted into solid same date rolls. The 1965 was in one of the rolls of mixed dates. None of the rolls had any sort of markings written on them. Usually when I do find solid rolls of single date halves, they have the date written on the outside. Also, the box was a 2 X 5 X 5 box like the older Brinks, but instead of being in the brown Brinks type rolls they were in gold stripe ended wrappers that I used to see in the older Garda boxes.

I didn't even get to ask any tellers for halves when I went in. The bank was busy so I was in line waiting to withdraw some money and to buy a box of dimes. The head teller walked over and asked if I was interested in buying a whole box of halves that had been cashed in earlier. I left there with the box of halves and a box of dimes. The dimes were a skunk.

Bob

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
I have a bank that rolls and crimps their own coins. They buy the papers in bulk boxes and those are factory rolled on one end and open on the other. After the tellers/workers fill the roll, a machine crimps the paper down similiar to the rolled end, but it never looks as good. Someone most likely brought in many rolls and as the teller checked the number of coins in each roll, they rerolled the coins in new wrappers. Wal-Mart sells coin wrappers like I described in assorted bags and penny bags of 50 wrappers or so. The same company mostly likely sells the wrappers in large quantity to banks, and the bank keeps old empty boxes around to store the rolls.

Yagershots

Jun 2, 2011
North East
kb4iqm said:
For those that can't make it out, there was a solid roll of 1966, a solid roll of 1967, a solid roll of 1968, a solid roll of 1969 that I opened to get a side pic of, and a single 1965 that I didn't bother taking a pic of. 81 40%'ers from a box that looked to be someones dumps! I put all 4 rolls in plastic coin tubes.

Bob

Awesome Find!!! :hello2: :headbang:

On a different note. Do you know what coin carrier this bank uses? I received 7 unopened brown and white rolls (looked the same as yours from picture) on Saturday from a Citi Bank that a customer dropped off. I found five 40%'ers in them. I was going to post a scan of the wraps to see if anyone knew what carrier they were from. Thanks John HH

OP
OP
kb4iqm

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
Yagershots said:
Awesome Find!!! :hello2: :headbang:

On a different note. Do you know what coin carrier this bank uses? I received 7 unopened brown and white rolls (looked the same as yours from picture) on Saturday from a Citi Bank that a customer dropped off. I found five 40%'ers in them. I was going to post a scan of the wraps to see if anyone knew what carrier they were from. Thanks John HH
That bank uses Loomis. These white rolls have gold/bronze colored stripes on both ends. I used to get those exact rolls from 5X10 Garda halves boxes back when I used to find silver in them. Garda then switched to white rolls with black stripes on both ends in the halves boxes, and the silver stopped showing up. The coins inside of the new color rolls certainly resembled the skunk colors on the outside!

I've bought Brinks boxes before. They were 2 X 5 X 5 boxes, and the rolls had brown stripes.

Bob

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
kb4iqm said:

Bob

That is one heck of a score dude! Congratulations and keep on keepin' on! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread