WTF_Merc.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 464
Upvote 0

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's so crazy I was wondering the same thing. I found a 1946 roosie tonight with two X's stamped on his face/eyes. Why would someone mark silver?

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

the counter

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2011
Persons with certain religious views didn't like the Mec dime as it represented a pagan god, they stamped them and/or melted them down in great numbers.

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
Instead of Liberty with a winged cap representing freedom of thought, they thought this was Mercury, the Roman God...

Even though both are pagan gods....just shows up goofy some people can be when their beliefs take over too much.

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think that's why this coin was mutilated though. It seems to be a stamp for some sort of specific purpose. If it had something to do with religious fervor, it would have some sort of religious slogan or just a random mutilation.

conpewter

Aug 17, 2010
Illinois
I'm wondering if it accidently went through some machine that stamped it. I would think if it was on purpose it would line up more with the portrait and not be only partially there on the top left.

OP
OP
Yagershots

Yagershots

Jun 2, 2011
North East
conpewter said:
I'm wondering if it accidently went through some machine that stamped it. I would think if it was on purpose it would line up more with the portrait and not be only partially there on the top left.

This makes sense...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread