George Washingtonn Carver/Booker T Washington Commemerative half

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Hadn't heard from you in a long time Snakeman! Great find, glad you found it. I have still never found any silver comms, just two of the Ellis Island.

OP
OP
SnakemanBill

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My second commemorative since acquiring this addiction. Found a Columbian Exposition half in a fed roll about two years ago. This new one was in a customer roll that also contained a 64 Kennedy. From what I've found out so far there's a low mintage for these so it may be worth more than the silver.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can you please post a picture/scan of the coin? That is a really nice coin you found yourself, congrats!!! I have yet to find my first commemorative let alone a silver one!! hh!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found one of these, and to date its the only commemorative half I've found.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SnakemanBill said:
My second commemorative since acquiring this addiction. Found a Columbian Exposition half in a fed roll about two years ago. This new one was in a customer roll that also contained a 64 Kennedy. From what I've found out so far there's a low mintage for these so it may be worth more than the silver.

According to the PCGS price guide, its worth $16 in AU55.

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one two weeks ago, except mine was a '54-S and came out of a box.

tgcougar

Jun 8, 2011
SnakemanBill said:

Expect a visit from SFBay - there are NO Fed rolls!!!!

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I am surprised more state commemoratives are not found considering all the CRHers here. I have never found a silver commemorative in all my CRHing.

I was amazed at all the different state halves that were minted in the 20s-40s. I just bought a 1936 Texas in MS63 today and the reverse is probably one of the coolest designs I have seen. I am going to slowly accumulate some of the cooler looking state halves in MS condition for my collection, although I doubt I will ever recoup what I pay for them. But they are neat designs.

Jim

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
jim4silver said:
I am surprised more state commemoratives are not found considering all the CRHers here. I have never found a silver commemorative in all my CRHing.

I was amazed at all the different state halves that were minted in the 20s-40s. I just bought a 1936 Texas in MS63 today and the reverse is probably one of the coolest designs I have seen. I am going to slowly accumulate some of the cooler looking state halves in MS condition for my collection, although I doubt I will ever recoup what I pay for them. But they are neat designs.

Jim

Most of the old silver commems had such low mintages that they just never circulated. They were sold at a premium and most likely were stored better than your average Walkers/Franklins. It doesn't surprise me that they hardly are seen or reported.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread