Credit Union coin counter is broken, but worry not!

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife and I had plans this weekend to head up and visit my family in western Wisconsin, so I figured while my wife did a bit of the driving I could get in some good Nickel time. I called one of the branches of my credit union on Friday morning as usual to put in my claim on $500 in Quarters, $500 in Dimes, and $200 in Nickels from their coin counter , which has been treating me so well. This is the same branch that, last week, gave me the plastic bags right off the counter and gave me $332.35 too much. My admitting the overages to them may have very well saved the Vault Teller’s job early on Monday morning. I spoke with her and she said “I’m sorry, but our coin counter has been down for the last 2 days, so all I have for you is $500 in quarters.” I’ll take it!
After some thought, I figured I may as well supplement my addiction with some boxes from Wells Fargo. There is a branch that always gives me coins and doesn’t ask questions, as they mainly deal with business in their area of town. I went to my credit union and picked up my $500 in Quarters, but also got $700 in cash. I then went to that nice Wells Fargo branch and they gave me $500 in Strings wrapped dimes and $200 in Strings nickels. After the teller gave them to me she asked “If you don’t mind me asking, what are these for.” I gave her the standard response “I’m a coin collector. I go through them looking for errors and rare dates and mint marks.” “Oh, neat. My dad goes through these looking for the P and D marks, ya know?” “Yeah, a fellow collector, great! Wish him luck for me!”
I get home, load the family car up for the road trip, and my wife drives. For her half of the driving, I was only able to go through $100 of the nickels. I found a 43-P War and 33 Collectable (Pre 61, including a 2009).
I then took over driving and got to my grandparents house. Last time I was up my grandpa shared with me his coin collection, including a recent find of 4 solid rolls of 1909-1939 wheaties at the general store he works at in his small town. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,404262.0.html That last time he also showed me a 1903 Barber dime in great shape that he pulled from the driveway of this house, the first house he’s ever owned. He mentioned it would be interesting to see what he could find with a metal detector. I brought my low-end Bounty Hunter and surprised him! We searched all over the common areas of his 100+ year old home that people may have dropped coins…by trees, by doors, in the parking area of his gravel driveway, around the garage. We found a few metal chunks of old farm equipment, a few which were fun to dig for, and a modern quarter, dime, and 2 pennies. Again, it was fun to spend the time with him, and he was really excited for a 70+ year old man to play with a metal detector. Another memory I get to have with my grandfather that I won’t soon forget.
After metal detecting I grabbed my quarters and sorted through them. I mentioned the ATB quarters to my grandma, as she collected the state and territory quarters, and she didn’t know about them. I looked through my quarters for silver and new rims, and saved out the ATBs in good shape, $4.75 worth, all of the 2010-Ds and 2 of the 2010-Ps, with some multiples. My grandma was happy to get a huge jump start on a new quarter collection! Another great memory with my grandparents.
I got to my father’s house, and stayed up until midnight to get through the coins. Here are the final results.

$500 in coin counter quarters
Skunk! This bumps the quarters average down to 0.25 per $500 box (1 silver out of 4 boxes)
$500 in String wrapped dime
1964-D Rosie
1968 Elizabeth Windsor Canadian Dime (this man bows to no earthly sovereign) passed the magnet test and the drop test, making this hoser dime only 50% silver. Worth about $US1
That brings my average down a bit, 39 silver dimes (I’m not counting that hoser dime) out of 25.4452 boxes. That is 1.53/box.
$200 in strings wrapped nickels
A pair of 43-P War nickels
74x Pre 1961 collectable nickels. I am filling out that old Whitman book I found last week really well!
2x 2009 nickels
That’s the second set of $200 in nickels. I’ve got 4 silver war nickels out of 4 $100 boxes, for a 1.0 average.

Upvote 0

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Your averages look right to me.. around what I would probably get here. However, I would never get NF String boxes of quarter & dimes. It would take too much time to search for so little.

In fact.. months ago on a trip to San Diego. I went to a bank to ask for dime boxes.. and to my suprise they came out with NF string boxes. The branches of that bank up here don't use NF string boxes. Some people would be shocked but I actually declined them simply because they were in paper wrappers.

OP
OP
Dok Holliday

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I enjoy the paper wrappers, I simply slice the dime rolls open lengthwise with a small utility knife, and twist to edge check. I can pull the 2009s out by finding the newer thicker edges. With nickels, since I date check them all, the paper rolls serves as an orderly holder as I peel it back slowly looking at each date. But, I really do like to have them loose in the bags from the coin counter, they seem to hit much better on dimes than the NF Strings wrapped dimes I'm getting from Wells Fargo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions