Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if your printer can scan --scan a photo then using editing tools in your photo shop type package zoom in on the area in edit mode. :wink: :icon_thumright:

kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II, Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, the 1955 penny very often has what's called the "Poor Man's" Doubled Die. They didn't replace the dies on the 1955 when they needed replacing so there are a lot of what appears to be doubled dies out there, most just have the last 5 doubled and some of the words appear to be doubled as well. There is no magnification needed for a real doubled die, it will stand out like crazy.

The poor's man's doubled die sells for a couple of bucks in uncirculated condition on eBay.

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "poor man's" versions only have value because of the famous version. If it was some other common wheat from the 50s, it would have no additional value (maybe reduced value to somebody looking for a nice uncirculated coin with a strong strike.) Lots of coins show a slight doubled appearance from die fatigue or machine doubling, not just the '55, even modern coins.

The real thing is impossible to miss:

Attachments

• 1955-double-die-penny.jpg
    1955-double-die-penny.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 319

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
question how can that coin show so much doubling but lincoln shows little to none? look at his bow-tie it appears to be some doubling. i thought that coins were minted from the same die but if there is that much doubling why does lincoln not have it?

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It shows doubling, it's just not as obvious. Check out the hair, and the shape of the nose and chin and the vest. It's also less pronounced because the doubling is cause by a rotation of the die relative to the hub during hubbing, so the distance is smaller near the center.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gaijun1 said:
Thanks For The Help

Greatly Appreciated Thank You

Another great option is a microscope from the Bay or Amazon that connects directly to your computer via a USB port, you can see a gnats butt hair
with one of those. I can take mine down to 500X magnification, it is amazing and really reasonably priced.

OP
OP
Gaijun1

Gaijun1

Oct 11, 2010
Morgantown Wv
Another great option is a microscope from the Bay or Amazon that connects directly to your computer via a USB port, you can see a gnats butt hair
with one of those. I can take mine down to 500X magnification, it is amazing and really reasonably priced.
A Gnats Butt Hair Thats Funny !!!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
A Gnats Butt Hair Thats Funny !!!

Sort of a late reply.:laughing7: I would have just omitted a response as there is no need to revive threads. I remember you from when you last were a regular poster.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I Know You Guys Have Some Great Pictures Of Your Coins
And Would Like To Ask You A Question

So Here Go's > If You Took a Picture Of a 1955 Penny
Can You By Any Chance Tell If Its A Doubled 55 From The Picture On Your PC

Or Is There A Way To Do It So You Can Tell By a Picture Only ?
Because i Only Have a 4X Glass ( Not Good Enough )

Thanks

homeslice, capitals go only at the beginning of a sentence, optional on this site. They do not belong at every single word in a sentence. U best use google images, and sort by large image for examples of the double d if you be serious.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
homeslice, capitals go only at the beginning of a sentence, optional on this site. They do not belong at every single word in a sentence. U best use google images, and sort by large image for examples of the double d if you be serious.

It might be auto-correct.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread