Safe for CRH finds

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got a fireproof box that I keep my rolls of CRH stuff in now. When they are full, I either secure them on my property or take them to my vault at my local credit union(so that all my eggs aren't in one basket).

I'm not getting into currency collecting. I'm grabbing a 1899 Silver Certificate for cheap today. I'm thinking with my other collector coins (E.G.: PCGS MS-66 1996-W Dime) it may be time to get a fireproof safe for my home. I'd want something I could bolt to the floor, store 8.5x11 documents in without folding, and yet be small enough to be able to move to my next home in ~5 years. I also may want to store some of my incomplete silver rolls in there while I am working on filling them up with CRH.

Given my requirements, what would you do if you were me? What do you do right now? PVC Pipe in the back yard? Bank vault?

Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Hiding things in the trash can is a bad idea. It has happened before that a well-meaning family member or friend takes out the trash for you and good bye PMs.

Another bad place is the freezer. Many people place jewelry and things in the freezer thinking it is safe from thievery. But even the average quality burglars will go through that if they have the time. Bedrooms are the first place they go, under the beds, in underwear/sock drawers, closets, etc. Mainly they are looking for guns, cash, jewelry, drugs (prescription pain pills and illegal drugs), and anything they think they can pawn. Probably a stash of silver half dollars will not get their attention as much as jewelry and cash, unless they happen to have coin knowledge.

Time is the key here. And a good burglar alarm reduces how much time they have. Diver Down made a good point about keeping some valuables in plain view so the crooks will find something and hopefully leave. A few hundred in cash and some fake jewelry will do the job. Many burglars will keep looking until they find something if they feel they have time on their side (like if they know you are on vacation or know your work schedule, etc).

Jim

Yagershots

Jun 2, 2011
North East
Please also keep in mind if a bad guy does have time and finds loot just laying around he might think "if this house has a few hundred dollars and jewelry just out in plain sight or not hidden to well then there might be more worth looking deeper for". I believe out of sight out of mind. There are plenty of great spots. But I don't want to turn this tread into a how to or where to find manual for the bad guys. I'm not saying anyone here is the bad guy. The internet is open to lurkers too. John HH

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Another thing is to use Stainless Steel Bolts to make it more difficult to cut or melt. I also attached it to a house jack in an area a thief would not want to cut it away. I have an alarm system and a alarm on the gun safe. Be ready for the camera that snaps your picture if you open the door to the safe to really piss you off too! At least the thief will have to work a bit unless I happen to be around. Then there is my 2 friends Smith and Wesson!!! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NaturalJWL said:
People shouldn't forget one of the best security measures.

A good Dog. :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• Cujo.JPG
    Cujo.JPG
    348.9 KB · Views: 167
  • Cujo.JPG
    Cujo.JPG
    348.9 KB · Views: 169

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread