What do you do when you "cant scratch the itch"

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
What do you do when you "cant scratch the itch"

Hey all, It has been a while since I posted, I have had many skunks and near skungage for the last couple weeks. However, due to various reasons, I have only searched two boxes in over two weeks now. I am a bit obsessed with CRH lately (to say the least), and as you all know it can take several days, or a week to get boxes once you do order them. What are some of the things you guys will do to satisfy the craving when picking up a box or two today or tonight isnt possible? Do any of you get coins from anywhere besides banks? I am curious on ideas as to how to catch a fix before my boxes get here...

Upvote 0

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Re: What do you do when you "cant scratch the itch"

Since I can't CRH 24/7, I read this forum a lot.

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keep some penny boxes on hot standby. :thumbsup:

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS

i outright buy silver then :wink: thrift store hunting, garage/antique store hunting, metal detecting, junk silver from LCS, etc., thats pretty much what i do haha. Keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

There's nothing like getting out for a little dirt fishin' in between crh'ing. Really curbs the appetite for coin, I usually dig some silver, wheats, or other oldies every time I get out.
ffd

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009

legend76 said:
Keep some penny boxes on hot standby. :thumbsup:

nickels too and often dimes.

I will also often dump small amounts of pennies and nickels at TD machines since i often find silver rejects at them.
The TDs without machines are also a good source to find coins on sat afternoon and sundays.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keep plenty of boxes of pennies on hand, they are not a lot of money compared to nickels or dimes, yet you will always make out with keepers. I average 18 wheats per box. hh!

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other

I'd try reading up on the silver content in foreign coins and go e-Bay, craigslist and "junk box" hunting. If you know the value of silver for different country's coins you can get silver for less than melt. For eBay I'd either look at the coin and paper money category and either search the buy it now newly listed, or the auctions ending soonest. Since most people view foreign coins as curiosities, and older ones as antiques, they often forget that a lot of them contain a good amount of silver and even with shipping/handling added in you can often come out ahead if you've done your research. You've got to be quick, but don't be too quick that you miss important details from a listing (for example, I've bid on silver proof sets that were -really- cheap only to realize when they've arrived and I've taken a better look at the listing that they were just the cases :laughing7: , ah well, live and learn). Craigslist is harder than eBay because they are generally lower resolution pictures and foreign coins are lumped in large lots, but still, there are deals to be found. Junk box hunting is also good, it involves going to a coin shop and looking in their junk box, there might be some low purity silver in there, but often you might find a foreign "key date" selling for 10-15 cents. You can also find old sales tax tokens and a lot of other interesting coins.

You can also try becoming an expert in die varieties for a particular coin then whenever a large show comes, buy from a dealer that doesn't deal in die varieties and find a rare die for cheap then sell it to a dealer who specializes in those coins for $$$$ often at the very same show fortunes can be made.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Generic_Lad said:
I'd try reading up on the silver content in foreign coins and go e-Bay, craigslist and "junk box" hunting. If you know the value of silver for different country's coins you can get silver for less than melt. For eBay I'd either look at the coin and paper money category and either search the buy it now newly listed, or the auctions ending soonest. Since most people view foreign coins as curiosities, and older ones as antiques, they often forget that a lot of them contain a good amount of silver and even with shipping/handling added in you can often come out ahead if you've done your research. You've got to be quick, but don't be too quick that you miss important details from a listing (for example, I've bid on silver proof sets that were -really- cheap only to realize when they've arrived and I've taken a better look at the listing that they were just the cases :laughing7: , ah well, live and learn). Craigslist is harder than eBay because they are generally lower resolution pictures and foreign coins are lumped in large lots, but still, there are deals to be found. Junk box hunting is also good, it involves going to a coin shop and looking in their junk box, there might be some low purity silver in there, but often you might find a foreign "key date" selling for 10-15 cents. You can also find old sales tax tokens and a lot of other interesting coins.

You can also try becoming an expert in die varieties for a particular coin then whenever a large show comes, buy from a dealer that doesn't deal in die varieties and find a rare die for cheap then sell it to a dealer who specializes in those coins for $$$$ often at the very same show fortunes can be made.
for the foreign silver on ebay, you got to watch out for some "large" silver coins especially the peso from mexico dated late 50's to early 60's... It's about the size of an ike, looks like a lot of silver... it's only 10% silver making it have only 0.0514 oz ASW compared to an expected .37 oz asw with the expectations of a mexican silver being 72% AG

OP
OP
TheRockDoc

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011

fistfulladirt said:
There's nothing like getting out for a little dirt fishin' in between crh'ing. Really curbs the appetite for coin, I usually dig some silver, wheats, or other oldies every time I get out.
ffd
speaking of dirt fishing..... I have never done it, but have been very interested in it for quite a while now. The other day, I was driving home, and noticed a public school that is quite old and most of the yard is being tore out, and I also noticed a couple sidewalks that have been tore out. I have never done it, and I have no idea where to start. (as far as a good solid MD to get me started) Any suggestions?

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other

for the foreign silver on ebay, you got to watch out for some "large" silver coins especially the peso from mexico dated late 50's to early 60's... It's about the size of an ike, looks like a lot of silver... it's only 10% silver making it have only 0.0514 oz ASW compared to an expected .37 oz asw with the expectations of a mexican silver being 72% AG
[/quote]

Yep, but if you are lucky you can find some coin dealers sticking those with their junk, I've found 2 that way, both in the same pile. The key is knowledge, chances are you aren't going to be more knowledgeable than the dealer in everything so you've got to pick a few areas and go after them, but if you've got an area you've researched decently you can score big time.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TheRockDoc said:
fistfulladirt said:
ffd
speaking of dirt fishing..... I have never done it, but have been very interested in it for quite a while now. The other day, I was driving home, and noticed a public school that is quite old and most of the yard is being tore out, and I also noticed a couple sidewalks that have been tore out. I have never done it, and I have no idea where to start. (as far as a good solid MD to get me started) Any suggestions?

My dad recently acquired a Garrett Ace 250. I must say I am quite impressed for such an inexpensive machine (~$215). I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better detector for the money.

RIcoinhunter

Nov 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2

fistfulladirt said:
ffd
Same here if I'm not finding silver etc doing boxes. I do more Mding plenty of old coins in the ground still.Sometimes find more in the ground then boxes :laughing7:

tgcougar

Jun 8, 2011

After reading the responses, it has become apparent that I misinterpreted the topic question - my apologies.

(And I had I REALLY good story to tell...) :walk: :stop: :angel12:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

TheRockDoc said:
fistfulladirt said:
ffd
rOCK, find a detector and run, don't walk, down to that tearout site.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I grouch at Mr. Apush. :laughing9: He then hits the banks for me to find a box of "anything" to keep me at bay. :laughing7:

apush :read2:

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

When finds are slim for me.. I just go to the banks and get boxes of dimes.. They always have those on hand. I'm also doing quarter boxes mixed in too. High skunks with quarters but they are super easy to get rid of. Don't limit yourself to halves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread