Keep checking those Coinstars!

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
I went to the grocery store this morning for a work snack, and as soon as I went inside, I checked the reject tray on the Coinstar. There was a beat-up 1996 penny and a BEAUTIFUL silver 1963 dime!
I bought 3 items, the cashier put them in 2 bags (I hate that. One bag is fine!) and I walked out with my bag. I got on the turnpike before I realized she had put the juice in a second bag, and I didn't pick it up! After work I had to go back to the store and explain, and got another bottle of juice. I saw a woman with 2 little boys dumping a HUGE jar of change into the Coinstar, and could hear the coins hitting the Reject tray. I was going to wait until they left, but the one boy noticed the rejects, and started grabbing them as they dropped. Oh, well. Got one good coin!

Attachments

• pennydime.jpg
    pennydime.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 398
Upvote 0

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N ice job on the silver Ratracer! I've found a few rejected pennies and canadians so far, no silver yet though!

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
WTG. I found .30 in one yesterday. 2 dimes 10 penneys. nothing to speek of but 30 cents is 30 cents. I had the same thing happen as I was lurking over someone dumping a coffee can and the little kid who's face is right at the reject slot started pulling them out. I left. :(

kalpinro

May 25, 2006
I pulled my first silver quarter from a coinstar last week, a beautiful 64-D and then I found one detecting later that day. :) :) :)

AFModell

Feb 27, 2006
DE
So far coinstar has yielded a silver dime to me as well, I was quite astonished to find it. And last week, I found a 64 rosie in the snack bar change bucket.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Can somebody tell me where the reject tray is? Is it about halfway up on the right side? Looking like some kind of coin return on the front? I walk by one at the grocery store once a week, and am gonna start checking it.

OP
OP
RatRacer

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
Yep, it's the little opening on the front, where the can would drop if it were a drink machine. Coinstar machines are apparently pretty sensitive about sorting out "Not-coins"- washers, slugs, foreign coins- but will reject silver, too. I've gotten a Canadian dime (wrong weight/metallurgy) an English penny(wrong size) this chewed 1996 penny(rough edges?) and a 1970's penny with corrosion on one side (?) from the same machine. Some people that use the thing don't know or don't care about the rejected coins, and I guess the store employees don't, either.
Good luck!

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Sweet!!! I found 50 cents in one the other day, all clad, but still 50 cents.

-CC

Apr 16, 2006
I work at a grocery store that has a coinstar machine. Last week I saw a person putting coins in the machine and I could hear silver coins hitting the reject tray. When I went over to the customer, I asked her if they machine was accepting all of her change. She showed me five quarters that would not go through the machine. They were all silver. I told her that they were silver and they would not go through so I offered to buy them. She sold me five silver quarters for one dollar. Great deal. The majority of the time the coinstar will not take silver coins because of their different weight compared to the clad coins.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always check the reject tray on the Coinstar machines when I find them. Once I collected a couple Wheaties from one and I thought they accepted all pennies.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Albertsons used to be the only store down here with them.Last week I saw one in Winn-Dixie,I'll check it out from here on out.

Sandman256 said:
I always check the reject tray on the Coinstar machines when I find them. Once I collected a couple Wheaties from one and I thought they accepted all pennies.
So thats where you got the '43 coppers from eh! :o ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread