2 Rare finds today......not a teaser title either!! UPDATED with morePICS, 07/24

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 1961clip.jpg
    1961clip.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 849
  • proofike.jpg
    proofike.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 905
  • clip 61b.jpg
    clip 61b.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 467
  • clip61a.jpg
    clip61a.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 482
  • clip 019.JPG
    clip 019.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 474
Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdickrun64

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 2 Rare finds today......not a teaser title either!!

Byrne, how can you tell?

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My first thought was post-mint damage, but it's hard to say. What's the edge look like in the clipped part? Can you show a picture of the reverse? I've attached a picture of mine for comparison.

Attachments

• double-clipped-1996-reverse.jpg
    double-clipped-1996-reverse.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 846
  • double-clipped-1996-obverse.jpg
    double-clipped-1996-obverse.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 856

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not damage. It's the real deal. Look at the rim opposite the clip. Easiest way to tell.
HH
enamel7

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009

wow that ike is a beauty...

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS

amazing finds! also, the clip looks real to me! congrats! keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]

dpy52081

Feb 16, 2011
Long Island, NY

I will gladly offer $1.10 (shipping on u) for the pair. JK......... figure its worth a try.

OP
OP
cdickrun64

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Enamel, yes, the rim opposite the clip has a small indentation on top side....caused by the hole puncher?

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The weakness in the rim opposite the clip is known as the Blakesley effect. The missing part of the planchet prevents the rim from being completely formed in the machine that up-sets the rim on the blanks and causes an imbalance of forces during striking. It's a sign that your clip is real and not damage. Sometimes it's more obvious, but it can be subtle or virtually absent.

I didn't see it when I first looked at it, but I agree with enamel7, it looks to be a real clip. Nice. Given the condition, I bet it would get 5-10 bucks on eBay, maybe more because it's silver.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
I have a question that hopefully someone on here can answer. If you get say, a half clip planchet.. And it is very minimal, I mean, like just barely shaved off. (In 3 areas of the coin though) Is it still worth saving, and would it be considered a clipped planchet, as long as it was indeed caused when struck? I know that with a off center strike, it has to be off a certain amount to be worth saving, so I am wondering if it is the same with clipped planchets?

I ask because the other night, I was searching some halves, and I found a half that had three areas of the coin where the edge was shaved off a bit. I probably wouldnt have even considered it could have been a clip error, but I had read this thread and learned that often times it will make an imperfection directly across from where the clipped area was. Here is the sh*tty part, I accidentally threw it back into the wild. Otherwise I would post a pic. I do remember thinking, man, I reallly think this is a clip planchet, (it had three areas where the edge was clipped) to bad it is so minimal, or it would be worth something. Oh, well, I'll set it aside and figure it out later. But then It was gone before I realized what I had done. I threw it back and it was gone. Can someone educate me a little bit for when I find something like that again?

Thanks-Chris.

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even a small clip carries a collector premium, though it might be a small one. A triple clip, even if the clips are tiny, is rare and a good find.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's the real deal. Looks good to me, and the fact that it's a silver error coin makes it an even better find. Nice find on that Ike too, that thing looks like it's in MS condition from the pic. I always buy ikes when I can, there's a few errors you can find that are worth some decent money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions