Hello!

stevvc

Greenie
Jul 22, 2011
Hello everybody!

I'm Steve, new to coin roll hunting. I have actually been living abroad for the past two years and have just moved to a small town in Pennsylvania (like under 20,000 people, about 0 attractions, etc). There is nothing to do here and I basically have to sit around until I go to California in September for college, so I was thinking about coin roll hunting, which I actually have been for a little while. It will give me something fun to spend my time on and with today's silver prices a piece of free silver is nothing to complain about :icon_thumleft: I have actually been a numismatist for some time so I know some stuff about coins in general and I've been reading posts on here. It seems that if I buy half dollars I will get the most silver? But just to add to my collection in general I will also occasionally be buying other denominations, especially pennies for the bullion value of the pennies before 1982. The only good thing about being in such a tiny town I guess is that I can basically walk around town with a backpack to visit all the banks (assuming I can stand the heat while I am carrying all those coins, of course!), so no paying for gas! :laughing9: I like to observe things closely so I don't think I would carelessly throw a possible keeper back into the wild.

I am actually on a trip right now but I will be back home next week and sure to start then! I am sure I will find questions to ask you guys later.

So really all you need to do is go up to a teller with $100 or something (or $500 ideally I guess) and just ask if they have half dollars? And also, since I live in such a small place I am hoping to get lucky in the sense that nobody else had the same ideas as me, and perhaps there is a lot of silver to be found there? And wondering also, what kinds of really crazy things have you guys found?

Upvote 0

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never ignore Dimes either. While my 2 Half Dollar boxes today contained no Silver, I was able to find 11 Silver Dimes by searching about $1250 in Dimes. Dimes are searched very fast if you know what you're doing. And you're going to need a place to deposit the coins after you're done searching. But yes, you just walk in with your cash and ask for Halves. I personally always ask for Dimes after asking for Halves.

K

Jul 17, 2011
MI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats up Steve? I'm somewhat new to forum and I'm just learning too! I'm only 15 so compared to these guys I'm just a baby CRH'er :wink: anyways Welcome to the forum! I suggest you read the beginners guide. If you still have questions, these guys (and gals) can answer them, they are like coin gurus! I probably can't and wont give you the best info, but I can be sure you'll be happy when you hit your first treasure! But please be patient! It will suck when you keep getting skunks but keep trying!! Oh and guess what? this is one of the few hobbies that pays itself, pun intended :laughing9:

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard!

My advice, start with dimes, because you'll average 1-2 a box ($500). Then you will get your confidence up knowing that finding silver is not a myth. Then go to halves (alot more volatile, alot more skunks than dimes, more reward though). Generally, $500 is the minumum "bankroll" to make it worth the effort imo. I hunt a minimum of $5K/week, $20K/month and I do fairly well with my pirating silver.

Remember Rule #1 of CRH, don't mention CRH!!!!! You are now a "coin collector" to all outsiders. lol :icon_thumright:

Good luck, keep us posted...we love pics

-GH

the Huntah

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2011
Rockmart, GA
Hello Steve :)

Just got my feet finally wet this week...Got $200
worth of halves and was skunked :) Why the smiley
face U ask? I finally took the plunge and feel great. Welcome 2
the forum and good hunting 2 U my friend :thumbsup:

Jr. Flip CRHunter AKA Wayne

PS: We'll B posting success B 4 2 long :wink:
Hava great weekend :thumbsup:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Welcome to the madness, Steve. Read the Beginner's Guide and read this forum. Learn from the Vets and don't be afraid to ask questions. Just make sure your question hasn't been asked a dozen times in the past 6 months. By the way, being that your young, you get a pass this time. You said you are a numismatist. No self-respecting numismatist calls our cents pennies. It is what separates us from the chaff.

OP
OP
S

stevvc

Greenie
Jul 22, 2011
Ooh thanks for the catch Diver Down, I'll have to make sure not to make that mistake in the future :)

One thing I was wondering... you all seem to say don't dump the coins at the same place you got them, so how do you find a good dump bank? I just worry about using a dump bank that possibly has a horde of silver I don't know about because I never bought coins from them.

To Agro, I will be going to school in beautiful San Diego

So mleblanc, do you personally just open the rolls and look for silver edges, and not check the coins for errors, rarities, etc?

I have a book of coin errors, pretty much telling of various errors of all modern denominations (like cents after 1959, dimes & quarters after 1964, etc). Do you think it is worth searching through all the coins to try to find those? Obviously some of them I don't count on ever finding, but there are some pretty crazy errors that it lists, like silver quarters from 1965. Wouldn't it be crazy to find one of them?

And speaking of crazy coin finds I am really quite interested what are the craziest finds you've had?

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Stevvc,
Welocome to the forum. Great to see young guys like you and K getting started in coin collecting.
Be patient and persistent. That's the best advice I can give you. San Diego is a beautiful city. I
lived there from 1985 to 1991. You'll love it.
All the best to you,
rileyboy

OP
OP
S

stevvc

Greenie
Jul 22, 2011
Thanks rileyboy! I am really excited... both for CRHing and San Diego.

Now I do have one question. Since I just moved here I don't have any accounts at local banks... Do you think it is important to set one or more up for this hobby? From what I see posted here it looks like it might be a good idea to have an account at the dump bank so they don't get too mad about dumping large amounts of halves?

lovewiibrew

Mar 18, 2011
Eastern US
My advice Stevvc is to create a good relationship with your dump bank. This allows them to "not be mad" at you for bringing in lots of halves. Many members butter the tellers up with chocolates, etc. Also, if you have a good relationship with them they will let you know if someone else brought in halves that you would want to buy and search. My dump bank does this for me. It's all about being friendly and courteous to the tellers.

RP4L

Jun 3, 2011
stevvc said:
From what I see posted here it looks like it might be a good idea to have an account at the dump bank so they don't get too mad about dumping large amounts of halves?

It definitely won't hurt. Try to find a bank where the tellers look for/take silver. Those make great dump banks since you'll never get any good customer wrapped rolls there anyway.

OP
OP
S

stevvc

Greenie
Jul 22, 2011
Cool, thanks for all the advice guys!

But seriously, is it important to get accounts at some of the banks? You all seem to say that they will be happy to get rid of halves, but will they feel the same about other denominations? Also, are there any weird little pieces of advice, like if there is a good time of day or week to buy coins or dump them?

Theolog

Greenie
Apr 5, 2011
Good luck on the new hobby. My first day out I asked for $50 in halves and they had to get them out of the coin counter. I got one 1964 and five 40%ers in that first $50 worth. I was hooked. I eventually cleaned out the bag off that coin counter and got a total of 2 90%ers and 114-%ers.

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:icon_thumright: welcome Steve ...I am new also! it seems that relationships with tellers are key to really playing this game well. having someone at a bank with your phone number that will call you when they get some halves is always welcome!

I went to my bank to pull some cash for car maintenance and decided I'd finally go and check out how CRH is done. I figured I'd pull my savings and buy coins as a bet over this dollar debt thing that is going on...
my reasoning is having coin in hand is better then having stuff in the bank you can't get to- I'm thinking 1929- but enough gloom and doom! :)

I scored a roll of 1968 -40% in my first $100 of halves, I didn't score any dimes in my $250 first box, I recycled my halves as my girlfriend dumped them she was told at her bank they have more halves she picked up another $50 and the first roll I opened was all 1964 silver! - I gave her dimes to dump, and she came back with $50 of skunk halves- but being up like almost $400 for the weekends finds I'm loving life. I have never found that much silver metal detecting, but I'm still having fun doing it/ I just decided that this a great way to net some silver with out digging!

I'm finding out people will take your dumps at most places (like work's cafeteria) just pass one $10 roll and see if anyone wants them, if they show interest do what I did tonight bring in like $60 in halves and sell $40 to the register girl. :) she said she'd buy them up because she loves giving halves for the kids piggy banks, my feeling is she's a CRH'er too- and she's thinking I'm not- why would I have $60 in halves if I wasn't...lmao -but I'm being nice to her and thankful that she's wanting them and taking the clad out of circulation for a while. WIN/WIN for me.

I plan on getting my first box of halves this payday weekend if I can find a bank that has a box. a box is like $500 - but it's not like your going to lose any money doing this....so far it's the safest bet I have found on making money finding silver around -ZERO risk...

my questions as new searcher - when you score silver do a lot of people take it and sell it- or horde it?

your question on setting up an account with a dump bank I've yet to hear an answer yet (but I'm new too, and might have missed it in the FAQ)-
but for dumping this is what I do, I buy halves in my bank and dimes in my girlfriends bank- her bank said they never have halves so I plan on dumping them there in exchange for dimes- and dimes are going back to my bank for me to buy another box of halves...unless her contact says they have some good stuff we want and it throws off the schedule - I buy from my bank and dump to hers- but I don't know of any system aside from luck or an inside call (from a friendly teller bribed with coffee and doughnuts!) that is a sure bet to a winning ticket! I owe her some doughnuts for this past find!!!!! :laughing9:

I can't really fault my teller at my bank for giving me clad -and someone's dumps at that (I had all the same names on wrappers, and one roll that said 1968 clad with no name on it! :tongue3: so if you get all the same names on wrappers don't get your hopes up! the good news is if you open one and it's silver a good chance all will be...so it might be a good thing... or not...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread