Any Tips for finding CWR of Halves?

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
I usually like to weigh each bank separately. The heavier ones have more silver in them. On a more serious note, we need to know a little about you to put you on the right track.
#1 Where is your crib(home)?
#2 If said home is in a big populous city, advice will be different.
#3 How hard do you want to work ?
#4 Are you willing to travel ?
These are just a few of the questions we need to know. If you live in a big city, you are going to have a lot more competition for the halves or dimes. Try a little experiment. Grab you a hundred bucks and pick out a street with a few banks(the more the merrier). Start at one end of the street and hit every bank asking for halves. You should have a pretty good idea about your competition after 5 or 6 banks. If the tellers all say you should have been there yesterday,that's not a bad sign. If you get a no or a sneering no, your competitors have pooped in your neighborhood. Then it is time to expand your search parameters. The harder you work at this addiction, the easier the silver is to find. Cheers, Jim

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
just go and ask , personally i like to ask for pennies, nickels, or dimes first as to divert attention away from the halves. Tellers ask less questions when they think you are a coin collector as opposed to a half collector which makes them say " why do so many people ask for halves "

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe it is all pretty much luck. I have searched big towns, small towns, ghetto banks in Detroit. rich neighborhoods and everything in between. At one time or another I have found something at pretty much every type of bank. I have yet to come up with a pattern. For instance today I stopped at a bank in suburban Detroit that I found my only solid roll of silver and they had no halves. I went across the street where I found my only Peace Dollar (loose in a tellers tray) that bank had no halves today. A third bank next door had 160 in Ikes $80 were in rolls, the rest in envelopes, I bought them and ended up with 160 Ikes. (I did have fun opening the 4 rolls of Ikes hoping for a stray Peace Dollar).

You just never know, I worked north of Grand Rapids to day an picked up a about $700 in customer rolls from about 6 banks in three different towns, One bank had $500 in brown wrappers packed in a brinks box all rolls were skunks.

If I have scored a bank once I do try to visit more often in hope of hitting a score a second or third time.

I do know this for sure you will never find anything unless you stop and ask, "Do you have any Half Dollar coins I can buy"

Keep on Searching
Gordon and Tanner

OP
OP
palidin20603

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am having more luck in an out of the way affluent area. The tellers and bank managers bend over backwards to check the vault for me because they think I may be an account holder. Also banks that aren't easiliy visible from roads tend not to be picked over.

AgentX

Dec 21, 2010
I try to avoid banks and smaller towns right off of main interstates. I found that a lot of road tripping hunters hit those banks and pickings can be slim :tongue3: If your willing to off the trail a bit you may have some better luck.

HH

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luck of the draw. You never know what will be dumped when. I had a very long good streak, then a very, very long skunk streak, then a fizziling of silver. Some days you get it, some days you don't. Persistance is truly the key. That is that. My two cents.

HSH,
apush :read2:

EastKyMiner

Apr 16, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit all you can, Plus you never know when or where someone might dump the good stuff :thumbsup: And if there is a Teller that is hateful and thinks your crazy smile and don't let it get you down keep at it.

HH...Miner

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions