1899 O Barber Half Dollar- to grade or not to grade?

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
You need to post a picture for anyone to give you a good opinion. The questions would be has the coin been improperly cleaned? or wiped with a silver polishing cloth? If so, the reputable coin graders will not give it a grade, but will body bag it or put it in a slab and denote the damage such as improper cleaning, etc.

Jim

OP
OP
palidin20603

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having technical difficulties with pic. I have good video, but am searching for cord to post.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin may look great to the naked eye, but those graders are tough looking at every point of wear and every minor ding and scratch. I reccomend NGC if you're getting anything graded since that's where I get from and trust.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
palidin20603 said:
The coin is beautiful. What can you tell me about the process of getting it graded and who should grade it?

Post a pic or PM me a pic and I will give you a general idea of what you have and if it is even worth slabbing.

Barber series coinage is my specialty, I absolutely love that line of history.

1899 O is not a Key or Semi Key date for that series although in XF condition or above they are worth
quite a bit compared to its silver value. The 1896-S, Semi-Key in Half Dollars, in F12 condition can run
you up to $390 - $430 dollars if slabbed by NGC or PCGS.

NGC or PCGS are the only two companies I would even consider to use for authenticating a coin and having grading done. PCGS slabs tend to bring slightly better money than NGC slabbed coins, but
they are the top two in my opinion. ANACS is a close third.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
As it's a common date for that series, I would not bother to have it slabbed. Rather, place it in a 2x2 and then in a binder.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thurmownator said:
As it's a common date for that series, I would not bother to have it slabbed. Rather, place it in a 2x2 and then in a binder.

I would love to see a pic of the coin. Key date or not, if the coin is above "F15", they carry quite a premium over melt. In some cases
if the coin reaches XF you are looking at $85.00 dollar or so. If you get lucky and have an AU-58 or MS coin, then you are well into
$150 - $200 dollars. Without a pic of the coin it is literally impossible to give sound advice on this issue.

The 1896-S (Semi-Key and harder to get then the Key dates of 1913, 1914 or 1915 (P) ) cost an arm and a leg for an F12, had to buy
it at Heritage as they are scarce as hens teeth.

A picture would make the guidance you get here alot better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread