What is FAIR?

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Like many of you, I have a number of bank accounts at different banks just for the purpose of CRH'ing.

These accounts have a MINIMAL amount of money in them.

When my supply banks order for me, they often incur fees, but they eat them so that they can have my business (which isn't ever going to give them a profit, if I can help it.)

When I take coin to dump banks, it is in amounts of about $1500.00 or more, so if they take it over the counter, it consumes about 10-15 minutes of teller time each week.

About the most I ever do in return is be friendly, cheerful, do some credit debiting and I buy bags off the counter when possible.

I also eat the cookies, take the free pens, grab the lollipops, and consume the ice cream bars that one of them provides.

In short, I am a great big time and wage consuming, cookie eating, lollipop grabbing liability to a lot of banks.

So....when I am informed that the bank cannot provide the service I want in the way I want....what is fair?

Am I really getting even with anybody if I throw a tantrum or make an angry tirade when I don't get what I want?

I personally think that ALL tellers should be treated like human beings that are just trying to make a living. Just sayin'.

When I walk into a business institution like a bank, I expect them to be honest with me about the terms and rules of their business, and to give me the same consideration that all the other customers get, even if I am more trouble than others.

Sorry for the sermon, guys, but I am a preacher by vocation.

My opinion is.....crude behavior in the bank lobby will end this hobby for all of us a lot sooner than we want it to end.

Upvote 0

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
I agree 100%. I never understand why some people are so quick to be rude to these poor tellers. Half the time the these tellers can't accomadate your request, its not their fault. It seems like these poor would end up taking the brunt of the banks abuse, even though their probably the lowest paid workers at the banks.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
You have a dump bank that gives out ice cream? That alone is a win. I'd buy boxes from other banks without searching them to dump them at that bank just for ice cream.

OP
OP
Piledriver

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
There aint nuttin' like edge searching in the parking lot while eatin' an orange-vanilla ice-cream bar !

Gnaw yer knuckles, dudes !

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
PD, my first question for you would go something like this. If you were holding court in your place of worship and you decided to pass a plate for donations, what would you think if the same guy helped himself to a few bucks everytime the plate came his way ? As a preacher you are providing a service to your customers just like the bank does. Their overhead continues to rise with fees from armoured cars,employee raises(let's not forget Healthcare).
You have every right to Vote with your Feet and find a new bank. Or maybe you can sit down with the monkey behind the wooden desk and try to work out a satisfactory solution.
I have been on both ends of your dilemma. It's never fun to change routines. Jim

ScottNVAB

May 22, 2011
Piledriver said:
I also eat the cookies, take the free pens, grab the lollipops, and consume the ice cream bars that one of them provides.

LOL. That's serious grubbin' ! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Piledriver

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
coolpix9 said:
PD, my first question for you would go something like this. If you were holding court in your place of worship and you decided to pass a plate for donations, what would you think if the same guy helped himself to a few bucks everytime the plate came his way ? As a preacher you are providing a service to your customers just like the bank does. Their overhead continues to rise with fees from armoured cars,employee raises(let's not forget Healthcare).
You have every right to Vote with your Feet and find a new bank. Or maybe you can sit down with the monkey behind the wooden desk and try to work out a satisfactory solution.
I have been on both ends of your dilemma. It's never fun to change routines. Jim

Coolpix9,

I know what you are saying, about being a liability, even tho our Church does not pass the plate, but has a box. :laughing7:

But I don't come to the bank as a bum.

I sit down with the rep. and talk about why I want my new account. I don't know everything about Bankland so I tell them what they can expect from me.

IF, after I have discussed my ordering and dumping, they still want to take me on, that is their business.
I actually have had a couple banks turn me down after thinking hard about recieving 2-3K in dumps each week. (The average is more like 1-2K, but I give 'em the worst case scenario.)

And at one of them (US bank), the manager asked to talk with me saying that they had received notice from the carrier of possible fee increases.
I asked him to investigate and let me know just what is a reasonable amount to dump. (I thought, "here goes another bank gone".)
But lo and behold, we ended up with a handshake deal that I would pay 1/2% fee on everything over 1K per week. (And I count my coin CAREFULLY before dumping there.) :icon_pirat:

So when they are happy, and I am happy, its a beautiful relationship. :tongue3:

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Very well said Piledriver.

To answer your posted question, to me as long as the bank keeps ordering you boxes and taking in your rejects, and assuming you have an account there, you don't owe them anymore than that. Considering the fact that you treat them well they will probably keep providing you with the service unless a new CRHer(s) show up and cause problems.

In general, fair is what both sides agree to without coercion in any transaction in my opinion (exceptions being of course being people with mental deficiencies, etc.)

Jim

OP
OP
Piledriver

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
jim4silver said:
Very well said Piledriver.

To answer your posted question, to me as long as the bank keeps ordering you boxes and taking in your rejects, and assuming you have an account there, you don't owe them anymore than that. Considering the fact that you treat them well they will probably keep providing you with the service unless a new CRHer(s) show up and cause problems.

In general, fair is what both sides agree to without coercion in any transaction in my opinion (exceptions being of course being people with mental deficiencies, etc.)

Jim

+1 !

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
I keep the largest portion of my money at my dump bank. I have no money whatsoever at my main coin bank. They love me just because of the candy or home grown rose, I bring them from time to time. I have a couple accounts at a couple other banks, one I use alot and one seldom. I will pick up a calender or two at my dump bank in January, but never take donuts or suckers or ink pens. And who ever heard of a bank that gives out ICE CREAM?

OP
OP
Piledriver

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
I'm not proud.
When they start handing out pepperoni pizza I'll be first in line.

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Fair enough Piledriver !

That bank that asks what's in your wallet sat down with me and said we would like to have your coins. Any quantity,any denomination,any day. I have now been asked by 5 bank managers of Capital One to either take my business down the road or pay them 2% on my dumps. I asked for their policy in writing which they couldn't produce. I called a branch I hadn't been to and they said bring them the coins. When I got there, I was told their machine was for piggy banks not for my 10 boxes of halves. Still no written policy. Wells Fargo has my retirement account,my mortgage,my savings,4 SDBs, and the lowest dump rate they offer is 1%.

I know I have created this monster with my greed. Cheers, Jim

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Where are all of you finding free food?

The best I've ever done was a silly promotion where the bank gave out a can of Pepsi if you asked about their "Summer Holiday Savings Plan".

Since my daughter loves some of the pop varieties that they offered, I thought it would be fun to get her some free canned drinks every day that I dumped...especially since the bank is 3 blocks from me.

I got her one single can...and the promotion ended the next day!!!!

OP
OP
Piledriver

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
I think that financial climate of the USA is shortly going to make Banks feel a great deal of panic.

Therefore, they will come up with all kinds of crazy promotionals to attract and keep customers.

Watch for burgers and hotdogs next.

OP
OP
Piledriver

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
quiksilver said:
Your gonna rot your teeth out. Also what do you do with all those pens?

Too late on the rot. My teeth are made of mercury and silver.
I lose pens about as fast as I get 'em.

Please don't come to my state to CRH and eat the Ice Cream Bars.
Things are bad here, baaaaaaad......oh yeah.

RP4L

Jun 3, 2011
Every summer my bank puts out some ice tea in the waiting line. It's a nice touch when it's 101 outside :icon_profileleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread