It was going to happen eventually...disaster for my bags from the counter :(

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
As some of you well know, I've been buying quarters, dimes, and nickels from the coin counter of 2 branches of my local credit union. I called a third branch today to see if I could expand my efforts. I already called this branch once before just as a feeler and had the direct line to the head teller.

When I called the head teller at the main branch she told me she spoke with her supervisor and they can no longer sell coins directly off the coin counter because of “an incident at another branch (my Friday Branch) where they sold bags and there was about $300 more given to someone and we were short." I didn't tell her, but that was me, when I dumped my coins I noticed the mistake and called the bank back, and gave them back the overage.

I haven’t talked to my Friday branch directly yet, but I’m guessing this is a new policy since last Friday (when I bought bags just fine) and that I can’t buy from my Friday branch anymore. My Thursday branch rolls all the coins they get for distribution to the other branches. I should be able to get coins from her, but it is usually $500 in dimes every other week, and hardly ever nickels or quarters. I dread calling her, but I may have to start ordering boxes through her and risk getting boxes full of 2011 coins :(

I knew it was going to happen eventually...I just didn't want it to.

Upvote 0

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
That does suck. Funny they lose all confidence in their equipment after one malfunction. And it could of been human error perhaps. Have you got a good feel for the tellers at the main branch where the coins are rolled? I wonder if you could (since you have proven your honesty, and on a large scale at that) search the coins prior to wrapping. It would involve taking coins back to where you get them, but if they would wait to wrap until after your inspection, (when possible) you might be able to increase your volume. Sounds like the branches send their bags to the main bank for rolling. There is probably someone there, maybe only parttime who does all the coin rolling. I know that is the case at my main coin bank. I would talk it over with the head teller or bank manager if need be. Your deserve some sort of reward for your honesty. Otherwise you better start looking for other banks.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
The ability to buy bags off the counter is shrinking for me too.

Not knowing the difference, I started out ordering boxes first and asking for bags later. Now I know what an opportunity the bags represent.

Oh well, you never miss the water......

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina
That's a bummer - I asked the lady at my local dump branch what happened to the bags of coins from their coin counter and she said they send them off to the federal reserve.

Oh well, when she opened the machine to replace a full bag, I noticed the bag of halves was so full. I asked if we could purchase those and said that it was against policy, that they had to be returned.

OP
OP
Dok Holliday

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
My Thursday branch is the main branch. I know that head teller very well, I called her.

"I hear there is this nasty rumor that you guys can't sell coins off the cointer anymore"
"....I haven't heard of such a thing"
"Well, regardless, I'd like to increase my order with you. $200 in nickels and $1000 in dimes every week. If you have to order them from Wells Fargo or get them off your own coin counter, doesn't matter to me, coin is coin"
"Sure thing!"

The main branch uses their own coins, rolls them on their own, and distributes them to the other branches. The other branches send their coin counter coins to Wells Fargo for processing (as witnessed by what is written on the plastic bags when I buy them from my Friday branch, and as per the Thursday branch Head teller)

With my increased order from the Thursday branch, I'll first be getting whatever she has left over from the coin counter that the other banks don't need, then she'll be ordering Strings boxes from Wells Fargo for me.

OP
OP
Dok Holliday

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
Piledriver said:
In my neck of the woods, Wells Fargo is the Skunk King without equal.

When it comes to dimes and nickels, they aren't great here, but they aren't terrible either. I can do about 1.7 silver dimes per box with the coin counter dimes, and about 1 per box with wells fargo dimes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread