Strange coincidences....

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I think we all have had some strange things happen to us while CRH. Yesterday I went through 4 boxes of halves, boxes 1,2 and 3 were all skunks. 3 rolls into box 4 I found a 1952 Franklin and 2 1964 Kennedy's. The rest of the box was a skunk. Out of 4,000 half dollars searched, only 3 silvers and all in the same roll. I'm not complaining at all, but it's a bid odd. I guess when you do high volume things like that are bound to happen.

What are some odd COINcidences that you have had while CRH?

Upvote 0

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i hear ya, a few weeks back I had a box where the 5th roll in had 2 Walkers and I was thinking "jackpot" this will be a stacked box! Low and behold there was nothing else in the entire box.

It's definitely the law of averages at work if you are a high volume hunter!

I also use BofA as my primary dump bank and I know we all preach (including myself) "Never buy boxes from your dump bank". So yesterday I go to a BofA near my office, I had got a couple nice boxes from t here in the past before I became a really big fish in terms of volume, So I had them order me 2k a week. Somtimes they're ok sometimes skunky.

Well yesterday they're like ya we got 4k since you were gone last week, ok I'll take them all I said. Gave up 4x90% (2 walkers, 1 a 1920 my oldest half to date) and 16x40%....

Its still out there, no matter where you look! :icon_thumright:

Bigheed

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
This in itself could count as a coincidence.

I signed on to tell a coincidence story and this post was at the top of the list.

My coincidence:

As another way to "dump" halves, I experimented with dropping one into the soda machine in the break room at work. The machine kept it and didn't give me credit. I figured it was a cheap lesson learned. I verified that the machine still took quarters and dimes and that it returned change ok, but I didn't intend to try to get my $0.50 back.

Today, I was walking by and saw the vending machine guy in the break room. I said "I've got a confession to make." He said "What is it?" I said "I dropped a half dollar into that soda machine earlier this week." He said, "Oh that won't work. I just pulled one of those out this morning at my first stop." As proof that he wasn't lying, he proudly produced it from his pocket - It was SILVER. He then shoved it back into his pocket.

He whirled around and opened the pop machine, all in seemingly one motion, pulled the coin mechanism, banged it on the floor, and out popped my 1974 clad. With a grin much bigger than the situation warranted, he said "here it is." The Bill Murray pool scene from Caddyshack popped into my head briefly and I shared a grin with him. As he handed it over, I asked if he wanted to unload the one he found earlier. He said "sure." He handed it to me and said "you can have it." It was a 1967. Then he said, "I also found a 1903 Canadian nickel today. It is the oldest coin I've ever found." I said, "really, 1903." He said "yup" and handed it to me. It was actually a worn 1903 Liberty Head. Before I said a word, he said "you can have it, I don't keep coins." I said, no, here's for the two coins and handed him a buck.

I'll post pics tonight (or maybe at lunch time if I can figure out the macro feature of the work camera).

PICS - As promised:

Attachments

• IMG_6877 (Small).JPG
    IMG_6877 (Small).JPG
    39 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_6878 (Small).JPG
    IMG_6878 (Small).JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 261

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
Sweet score with the venting machine. The biggest coincidence that's happened to me was when I first started. I used to mark my rolls by drawing a little crab on them. So one day I went to a bank like 40 miles from my house to grab some halves, and low and behold a pile of crabs, lol.

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
madwest said:
This in itself could count as a coincidence.

I signed on to tell a coincidence story and this post was at the top of the list.

My coincidence:

As another way to "dump" halves, I experimented with dropping one into the soda machine in the break room at work. The machine kept it and didn't give me credit. I figured it was a cheap lesson learned. I verified that the machine still took quarters and dimes and that it returned change ok, but I didn't intend to try to get my $0.50 back.

Today, I was walking by and saw the vending machine guy in the break room. I said "I've got a confession to make." He said "What is it?" I said "I dropped a half dollar into that soda machine earlier this week." He said, "Oh that won't work. I just pulled one of those out this morning at my first stop." As proof that he wasn't lying, he proudly produced it from his pocket - It was SILVER. He then shoved it back into his pocket.

He whirled around and opened the pop machine, all in seemingly one motion, pulled the coin mechanism, banged it on the floor, and out popped my 1974 clad. With a grin much bigger than the situation warranted, he said "here it is." The Bill Murray pool scene from Caddyshack popped into my head briefly and I shared a grin with him. As he handed it over, I asked if he wanted to unload the one he found earlier. He said "sure." He handed it to me and said "you can have it." It was a 1967. Then he said, "I also found a 1903 Canadian nickel today. It is the oldest coin I've ever found." I said, "really, 1903." He said "yup" and handed it to me. It was actually a worn 1903 Liberty Head. Before I said a word, he said "you can have it, I don't keep coins." I said, no, here's for the two coins and handed him a buck.

I'll post pics tonight (or maybe at lunch time if I can figure out the macro feature of the work camera).

really cool one there. on the camera you should be able to turn a dial to a flower shape to go to macro.

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
azlegends said:
Sweet score with the venting machine. The biggest coincidence that's happened to me was when I first started. I used to mark my rolls by drawing a little crab on them. So one day I went to a bank like 40 miles from my house to grab some halves, and low and behold a pile of crabs, lol.

mmm crabs

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried a soda machine at my work the other day, and, much to my suprise, it accepted halves. It's not your regular coke machine, it's one of those that have 20 oz bottles and you can see the bottles, they fall in the little thing and get moved over to the opening...... well, maybe you know what I'm talking about.

Some walmart self check outs take them also.

Hh,
Legend

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread