Nik1.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 580
  • Nik2.JPG
    Nik2.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 597
Upvote 0

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Sorry, but I would have tossed them anyway.

I am a silver hog. Period.

But I'm glad you got them.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a war nickel a while back in the shape of that 1940, I nearly would have passed it along as a really nice coin from the 70's if the reverse was not showing, the "p" gave it away :icon_thumleft: Nice finds!!!

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina
They are nice old nickels right there - good job on saving them from circulation. If they look that good after over 70 years, they need a good home. :icon_sunny:

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
I use to not look at both sides of the nickel - especially if they appeared "new-ish." I would date check obverse or look for the distinctive mint mark on the reverse depending on how the coin landed in my hand. If the coin appeared old, I would date check it. Then, like OP, I came across a 1939 in similar condition. I decided to start checking both sides. Out of habit, I still find myself only checking the side facing up, but I'm slowly retraining myself.

Stang1968

Dec 14, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The older ones have a higher relief than the modern ones; I would've pulled those out too. I used to have a really nice 1938-S that was about AU, but it was stolen when I was a kid :(.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread