Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
closing in on my first big goal (100 1974D double die coins). After my recent debacle (last 4 boxes contained nothing but unc 1993D), I picked up 4 more boxes yesterday pretty much expecting more unc's, but found they were all the regular circulateds. I went thru 2 boxes and found 2 90% (27s walker and kennedy, 4 40% kennedy, 3 1974D double dies). The 3 double dies give me a total of 98, so I am 2 shy of my goal. Technically I have found over 100, but I put 3 back into circulation as they were pretty beat up from too much time in the slot machines. Just a word of caution for half dollar roll hunters, if you only look at the edge of the coins you may be missing some good stuff. Both of the 90% had dark edges and did not stand out at all, so could have been easily missed if I did not look at each coin individually (since I separate out the 74D I look at each individually, plus glance at each one for a possible error). HH

Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going Wayne! What are the values for the 74-D DDO's? Are circulated examples worth anything? If I were you I'd keep your best and sell them by the roll on eBay.

AFModell

Feb 27, 2006
DE
Way to go! Glad to hear yoreu getting back into the silver game. Ive been looking for the 74D dd as well as the 71D, 72, 73D and 77D, but I havent found any of those. I am up to about 7 or 8 74d dds total.

I second what Wayne has to say about checking for than the sides. If you hunt fast and loose like that you are going to miss a bunch of the 40%ers. Ive had many that have fooled me big time until I looked at dates (on every coin, ugh). Keep tearing that paper!

OP
OP
E

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been extremely lucky on the 74D DDO. I have checked quite a few of the 73D and 77D, but have yet to find one of those. Oh, by the way, I searched the other two boxes, ended up with one 90% Kennedy, 5 40% and 2 74D DDO. I HIT MY GOAL!!!!!! 100 74D double dies!!!! I will continue looking for them, but it was sure good to hit that goal! I estimate to find that 100 coins I have searched approximate 15,000 1974D coins. That is a lot of looking with the magnifying glass. HH all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread