Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
Upvote 0

K

Jul 17, 2011
MI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe its a COINcidence :wink: Look at the coincidence with the 1955 post about nobody finding it and then it pops up that somebody found one in MS 60 condition? "now im not pointing any fingers, or calling anyone liars" Well one of the posts I think about gold was this ----> http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,418484.0.html but it wasn't a coin. Maybe the guy did find the coin maybe he didn't, If he really needs to do that to feel good about himself then I would just ignore it, but if he posts a genuine picture, it will all be good :icon_thumleft: ;D

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It maybe possible....

Recent story of one of those Salvation Army ringing the bell workers, that found a gold coin in their red donation thing. If unoticed could be deposited back in circulation....

Odds of finding one... :icon_scratch:

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ya...couple posts(ers) lately that make me wonder about their authenticity or "fish story factor" , but whatever floats your boat I guess!

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep a list in my head of all the people that have made a nice find and posted pics. From then on, pic or not, I tend to trust them. Those without pictures...probably B.S.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mdockter said:
I keep a list in my head of all the people that have made a nice find and posted pics. From then on, pic or not, I tend to trust them. Those without pictures...probably B.S.

Absolutely Brother.

Back in the day when I first joined, people had awesome finds and ALWAYS posted eye candy for the rest of us. Now it is "Look"
I found 10,379 90% Seated halfs in one box, with no pic's. There are quite a few people on this board that I have talked with in person
and over the phone. Some have given up posting their finds because of all the Noob's who get a kick out posting fictious finds. Why,
I don't have a clue but it just lends more credence to the "Questionable Poster" factor. Especially those with four or five posts under
their belt.... :(

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
mdockter said:

First, I am not saying anyone in particular has posted false finds.

But, the idea that a posted photo means claims are true is not logical. Let's say I have a collection of Barber halves. I could post saying I found for example, a certain number of rolls of Barbers in CWR (you could substitute Barber for Mercs, Franklins, etc).

I then gather the coins from my collection and form stacks and take the picture. Thus, all posting a photo does is prove the poster most likely owns such coins, it doesn't mean they really found them CRHing.

There have been cases discovered though were posters lied about their finds. To me it is pretty sad that someone would feel the need to bolster their ego by lying about what they found CRHing.

Jim

Bentfork

Jan 4, 2010
Oklahoma
FreedomUIC said:
mdockter said:

Absolutely Brother.

Back in the day when I first joined, people had awesome finds and ALWAYS posted eye candy for the rest of us. Now it is "Look"
I found 10,379 90% Seated halfs in one box, with no pic's. There are quite a few people on this board that I have talked with in person
and over the phone. Some have given up posting their finds because of all the Noob's who get a kick out posting fictious finds. Why,
I don't have a clue but it just lends more credence to the "Questionable Poster" factor. Especially those with four or five posts under
their belt.... :(

The same thing can be seen on metal detecting boards, bottle digging, etc. Pick any forum dealing with treasures so to speak and they will be there. Even people that travel the country looking of old cars to restore have their questionable posts. There will always be a number of folks that post fictitious finds. What do they gain? Beats me. Forums evolve over time into popularity contests. They always do and always will. I get frustrated with metal detecting forums because there never is any serious discussion. It's all just a bunch of clad finds being posted that a blind squirrel could find. I have yet to find a metal detecting forum that hasn't evolved into that. The reason I rarely post on any forum I am a member on is because I don't need a pat on the back for reassurance. If I find something I want to share, I post it. But I don't post for the "dig me" factor. Call me cynical. If someone wants to post finds that are highly questionable, there really isn't much that can be done about it.

HH

Bentfork

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
You mean people are posting in their sleep?

Just found 2 solid boxes of silver, and 100 solid gold Kennedy's....

In UR dreams !!

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
ah - guys I ask the poster for pictures. take every post with a grain of salt- and enjoy what pictures people post...I know that human nature is everyone just wants to feel important. so it's all good. :icon_thumright: I also enjoy seeing the stacks of halves people find on here, real or not it helps me in my dream of finding them. (again that's not all bad!)

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were 2 posts of gold coins being found i believe (I'm not going back and looking) but i recall one for sure was found in a roll of quarters

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread