My Week in Review 8/15 - 8/21 **Correction on Searched & added probabilities**

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Week in Review 8/15 - 8/21 **Correction on Searched & added probabilities**

So this was a pretty good week. The end of the week was a little disappointing as several of my big halves orders got delayed until next week to the tune of 13,000 but I guess that just means more fun next week right?? :-) Heres the short summary, otherwise read on for the day by day "Action"...

So I just realized for Halves I was using $24,715 (my total for the month LOL.....not my $8515 total for the week.....woops!! go spreadsheet... :tongue3:

Totals Searched & Findings
Halves - $8515 - 8x90% , 23x40%
Quarters - $700 - Skunked
Dimes - $8010 - 33 Rosies, 2 Mercs, 1 Canadian (1903!!)

Monday August 15th - CWR saved the day on Monday the boxes were all pretty dismal except one box of halves which was a nice keeper
Halves
CWR $110 - 1966x2 , 1968x2 (1 ender)
Box 1: Skunk (partial box $280)
Box 2: Skunk
Box 3: Skunk
Box 4: 1964 x5, 1965, 1968x2
Box 5: Skunk

Dimes
CWR $510 - 1945, 1956-D, 1962-D, 1958-D, 1964-D
Box 1 (250) - Skunk
Box 2 (250) - Skunk
Box 3 (250) - Skunk
Box 4 (250) - Skunk

Tuesday August 16th - Just dimes today
Dimes
CWR $450 - 1953-D, 1953
Box 1 (500) - 1950-S, 1952-S
Box 2 (500) - 1962
Box 3 (500) - 1959-D, 1961-D x2

Wednesday August 17th - More decent CWR today, except quarters, same old song and dance there
Dimes
CWR - $50 - 1964-D
Quarters
CWR $700 - Skunk
Halves
CWR $100 - 1966, 1968-D x2
Box 1: 1965, 1967, 1969

Thursday August 18th - The skunk was out in full force today
Dimes
Box 1 (250) - Skunk
Box 2 (250) - 1964
Halves - At least 50% were 2001 BU's , not solid rolls just all mixed in the heap, very few marked coins in the other junk to.
Box 1: Skunk
Box 4: Skunk
Box 5: Skunk
Box 6: Skunk

Friday August 19th - Finally some redemption!!
Halves
CWR $25 - 1969
Box 1: 1964, 1967x2
Box 2: 1964, 1967x2, 1969x3
Box 4: 1965, 1967

Saturday August 20th - Dimes are usually my Saturday box of choice unless I have outstanding halves (which may be the case next week if i get avalanched with all the delays from this week)
Dimes - 8 $500 boxes and not a single skunk and my oldest coin ever, a 1903 Canadian dime in great condition!! :headbang:
Box 1 (500) - 1956-D, 1964-D, 1954
Box 2 (500) - 1934 Mercury, 1903 Canadian - He's in great shape, the detail is really good, not a washer at all, he's got some sulfur oxidation but oh well
Box 3 (500) - 1963-D, 1945, 1950-D
Box 4 (500) - 1964-D, 1962-D, 1959-D
Box 5 (500) - 1964-D x2, 1963
Box 6 (500) - 1961-D
Box 7 (500) - 1947-S, 1949-S, 1952-S
Box 8 (500) - 1964-D, 1961-D x2

HH & Best of luck this upcoming week!
-Bigheed

Attachments

• IMAG0267.jpg
    IMAG0267.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 396
  • Dime Front.jpg
    Dime Front.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 395
  • Dime Back.jpg
    Dime Back.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 392
Upvote 0

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: My Week in Review 8/15 - 8/21 **Oldest coin found yet & Pics**

Glad you are in LA. Because you just cleaned all the silver out.. Good work! :icon_thumright:

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

I don't think that they can actually fill that many halves boxes in ordering at once no matter how much you really want to. I've discovered that at times, they run out and don't have any.

You did a crazy amount of dimes. Looks like good results.. When you dump them.. do you just put all those plastic rolls in bags for them to send back or do your dump banks actually use them? Kind of a shame to dump rolls that are prefectly fine for use but I suppose that just comes with the territory.

I think your results would've been better on the halves if you were out east. Nice haul on the dimes. Wished I could do that many boxes. ;D

OP
OP
B

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I used to bring them in "intact" back in the box, but they said once the "seal" is broken they have to ship them out anyways so they asked me to just coin lock them like the halves, so thats what I do.

CWR dimes of course I unroll them all because they are paper, except those odd scotch tape ones i got this week....who does that LOL ??

In this case the manager just forgot to put the orders in. I had been travelling alot for work so I wasnt on my regular ordering schedule, but now I am again.

OP
OP
B

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Couple other pics I wanted to post earlier but hadn't resized yet.

Dime Ender
See through silver in the scotch tape :hello2:
1975 Un Peso , CuNi coin, but pretty cool looking bust shot

-Heed

Attachments

• Dime Ender.jpg
    Dime Ender.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 366
  • Scotch Tape Roll.jpg
    Scotch Tape Roll.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 352
  • Mexican Peso.jpg
    Mexican Peso.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 348

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

It's interesting that dime ender was in a CWR and also in those plastic food wrappers. It is goes to show that dimes are so unsuspecting that people often pass them up. They're probably the last denomination besides nickels that people can get consistant silver from.

I'm guessing 6 boxes is max from each bank for halves? You must order from a lot of different branches. Of course in LA, there's probably bank branches all over. Those guys at the sorting facility must not like you. LOL. They're probably thinking why are all these banks sending intact rolls of dimes back?

I don't do that much in quantity. I try to give the dump dime boxes to banks that may actually use them. Less chances of me getting my own dumps back right?

Good luck next week.

OP
OP
B

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

well the manager at my main branch ordered 15k once, i only asked for 5k, Usually he gets me 5k 1-2x per week.

The places i get 4-6 boxes from are different chains im testing the water at etc. So far I've only encountered a couple places that limit the orders and they are usually small branches.

Ya these dimes were great but I've also had some really crappy ones to, but I agree they definitely get overlooked, or someone might think ehh its so small....little do they realize its worth $3.10 :-)

Anyways, lets look forward to a strong finish for August !!

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

Bigheed said:
well the manager at my main branch ordered 15k once, i only asked for 5k, Usually he gets me 5k 1-2x per week.

The places i get 4-6 boxes from are different chains im testing the water at etc. So far I've only encountered a couple places that limit the orders and they are usually small branches.

Ya these dimes were great but I've also had some really crappy ones to, but I agree they definitely get overlooked, or someone might think ehh its so small....little do they realize its worth $3.10 :-)

Anyways, lets look forward to a strong finish for August !!

15K in one order? That's crazy. Must be a huge branch. All the branches around here don't have space. Some complain that even if they get 3 boxes, I have to pick them up that day or they get upset. Hope you treated that guy that ordered them to a free lunch or something along those lines at least. LOL

Your boxes are interesting. It just goes to show how the numbers are different than those of the northeast. Let us, know how your next batch goes.

HH

OP
OP
B

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ya I am nice to those guys, got em some starbucks cards, I'd be broke if I bought the place lunch tho...its huge.

Volume is definitely key out here because when they're good, they're real good, and when they suck its realllly bad. So you just gotta increase your chance of hitting each week by getting bigger pools.

Maybe if I hunt enough they'll ship em over from the east coast if I drain em out here lol... :-)

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other

You do amazing volume. I would think it would be hard to dump so much every week. You obviously have figured out a rather profitable system though it does involve using a lot of cash. Also I wonder why more CRHers don't hunt nickels. I think nickels are the coins that seem to be overlooked. Silver dimes, quarter and 90% halves are currently worth about 31xfv but silver nickels are worth about 50xfv and don't involve using so much cash. I rather consistently find at least 1 silver nickel in about every 20 - 25 rolls. Plus I've had some good luck with buffalo nickels lately and found a 1938D nickel just friday.So I figure every $1000 face in nickels I buy yields about 50 silver nickels worth about $125 which is a 12.5% return - not bad. And with inflation these coins should probably double in value before long and be worth about $5 each which would double my return to about 25% - even better. I think I'm going to start increasing my volume in the next week or so but I'll still be doing way less than you.

Anyway nice score and HH.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other

sorry correction - I meant to say I find about 1 silver nickel in every $20 - $25 fv (about every 10 - 12 rolls). Nickels seem to be more consistant than other silver coins which seem to be more hit and miss.

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other

SilverFace said:
Also I wonder why more CRHers don't hunt nickels.

You can not edge search nickles. You have to look at every date. Nickles take a long time to search compared to halves.

Gordon and Tanner

OP
OP
B

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You can not edge search nickles. You have to look at every date. Nickles take a long time to search compared to halves.

Yup, I just edge search. Like the 4k in dimes on Saturday only took me 1 hour to do.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is an awesome week and averages!!! I wish I could do as much volume... Keep it up!

OP
OP
B

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You do amazing volume. I would think it would be hard to dump so much every week. You obviously have figured out a rather profitable system though it does involve using a lot of cash.

Volume is the key. I have allocated 5k to use as my CRHing money. Now is a great time to cash in some of your stashes and increase your "CRHing Budget".

I get at least 2 skunk boxes a week (usually 2 per day if I keep the volume real high). Its the old flipping the coin idea. If you got 50 boxes from 50 different banks, each box is a "unique flip" and you'll never have better than 50-50 odds.

But if you get 50 boxes in batches of 10, then you've got 5 sets of "10 consecutive flips" and the odds are much more in your favor to get some Ag. How much? thats still just luck, but "some" you can force into your favor by volume, "as long as its still out there as we say" and for now it definitely is still out there!

Probability strictly speaking Silver or No Silver (like heads or tails) is 1/(2^N) , where N=# of boxes (or # of flips if you think heads/tails)
1 box, = 1/(2^1) = 1/2 = 50% you will get skunked
10 Boxes = 1/(2^10) = 1/1024 = 0.0009765625, multiply by 100 for % = 0.09765625%

So Bigheed wtf are you saying. What I am saying is that if you get 1 box at a time you will get skunked 50% of the time all things being equal (if you normalized the fact that you are in a hotspot or a skunk city). However if you got 10 boxes each shipment your odds of getting completely skunked on all 10 boxes is just shy of 1/10 of 1%

This website has a good example for probability (just think # of coins = # of pickup banks, # of flips = Boxes PER shipment pickup)
http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/probability/info.htm

Hopefully that puts volume in perspective a little better?
HH,
Bigheed

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other

"You can not edge search nickles. You have to look at every date. Nickles take a long time to search compared to halves"

Your right but I'm not just looking for silver. I save all pre - '60's, Canadian pre -'82's and all 2009 Jefferson's also - though the last two are quite hard to find. I actually find more silver nickels than '09 nickels. And I know most of the circulated Jefferson '40-59 non-silver don't have much value over face (or intrinsic actually) but I save them anyway. And I do find buffaloes - usually no date but I recently had a nice batch of common date buffaloes from the "30's (7 or 8) all with full dates and full liberty and some earlier partial dates (1929,1924 & a 1918) as well as at least 2 or 3 silver - all from just 20 rolls. That's an unusually good score (got those from my favorite teller). And I also got a 1939D (semi-key date) Jefferson just Fri. as well.

Your right nickels are more time consuming if you only want to edge search for silver but I don't do a large volume but I think I'm going to start increasing my volume a little but will probably mainly stay with nickels, cents and halves. Also I don't just edge search halves either. I sometimes find proofs, post-2001's and just recently found a couple more '87's but in circulated cond. I know they aren't worth much more than fv. And I don't usually order halves either because I haven't had much luck with that - probably because I don't do enough volume. My best luck with halves seems to be with small batches that customers bring in - either lose or rolled (unless they are someone else's dump). One teller one time had 10 lose '64's right in her tray. That was a nice score.

A nyway I've got today's rolls to go thru - so good luck and HH.

OP
OP
B

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats one of the best things about CHRing is there are many ways to make it a great hobby!

BTW edge searching halves I can pick out 87's and Proofs to :-) after a while you can see the thickness are slightly different, shinier reeds etc.

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome job man!!!

Does LA send all the dumps to Phoenix? :dontknow:

Im playing paintball without any targets, its just no fun.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other

"BTW edge searching halves I can pick out 87's and Proofs to :-) after a while you can see the thickness are slightly different, shinier reeds etc."

I can usually see the difference in the finish of the proof coins like with the silver without looking at the dates but like I said I don't do the volume in halves most of you seem to so I don't mind looking at the dates. But I can see if you do a large volume that time is obviously more of a factor. But I've had pretty good luck with the small volume in halves I've done over the last couple of years (and maybe I'm a little spoiled because of it) - probably well over a hundred 40% silver and dozens of 90% silver halves - my best single score being an entire roll of Franklin's from what has become my favorite (lucky) teller. And that was her only roll at the time so I scored 100% - I didn't have to search thru boxes and hundred's of rolls to get them. But like I thought at the time - I may never have that kind of luck again. But actually I did just a couple of months ago with silver dollars - FROM THIS SAME TELLER - I got 4 nice mid grade Morgan dollars including one 1899 (mintage 330,000) which has a collectible value of about $130 in what I think the coin would probably grade - Fine. Once again no real searching - just lucky timing I suppose. $4fv for about $230 in collecible and intrinsic silver. Silver @ FV is definitely for me. Like I said she has been my favorite lucky teller and I've probably been a little spoiled because of her (and maybe a couple of others from time to time) but it also makes me want to search and hunt even more. Too bad nore tellers don't KaCHING (however you spell it) like her.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread