Might have a HUGE lamination error!?

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
I just got this in a box of nickels. it seems llike a lamination error, and its a nice old one. i want the best opinions on if this is post-mint or an actual error. thank you for the input!

DSCN0998.jpg

Upvote 0

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
I think post mint damage. If you look at the l in liberty, you can see it is cut off but the gouge in the coin. I think that if it was an error the l would have been struck without interupption like the rest of the coin.

OP
OP
brendan1414

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
azlegends said:
I think post mint damage. If you look at the l in liberty, you can see it is cut off but the gouge in the coin. I think that if it was an error the l would have been struck without interupption like the rest of the coin.

i dont get what you mean.. it looks like a normal I to me..

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
brendan1414 said:
azlegends said:

Sorry, I should have used capitol letters, look at the L not the I.

OP
OP
brendan1414

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
azlegends said:
brendan1414 said:
azlegends said:

ah, well it seems like it peeled away... the edges are sharp feeling. iss that what a lamination error usually is?

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
brendan1414 said:
azlegends said:
brendan1414 said:
azlegends said:

ah, well it seems like it peeled away... the edges are sharp feeling. iss that what a lamination error usually is?

I don't think so, but I wouldnt call myself an authority on errors. There's a few members around here who will be able to shed more light on the subject.

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
I believe it is a true lamination error and not PMD. In the picture it appears you can see the details of the coin where the metal is missing and you can also see the outer layer peeling up in the center. PMD or a gouge would have most likely destroyed of altered the details in those areas.

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
Rooter said:
I believe it is a true lamination error and not PMD. In the picture it appears you can see the details of the coin where the metal is missing and you can also see the outer layer peeling up in the center. PMD or a gouge would have most likely destroyed of altered the details in those areas.

Actually, after a second look, I think this is correct. At first glance I didn't notice the details of jeffersons head inside the gouge.

OP
OP
brendan1414

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
Rakattack said:
That is lamination, not worth too much, but still a nice find.

I was thinking it could be a NICE chunk of $$$ because of its date being pre 1960, and its sheer size and detail of the actual error.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree, lamination error. But I don't think it will be worth all that much because, in all honesty, who collects lamination errors? They have to be some of the more boring errors to collect. Now, if the thing was off-center, broadstruck or had multiple strikes or even a good clipped planchet that could be worth $$$ but I think you will have a hard time finding someone who collects lamination errors. But, I could be wrong.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
It is lamination without a doubt, I have several like this. A few cents also. And I can verify that they are not worth anything over and above whatever numismatic value the coin has. They are just neat though, so I hang on to mine. :)

OP
OP
brendan1414

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
Well shoot.. i could use some money right now lol, it is a fun coin to have though =]

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a handful of people who collect lamination errors, and this is a pretty nice one, but they're not scarce enough to be worth a lot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread