09 Nickels yay or nay?

papa1956e9

May 11, 2011
I'm starting to wonder if these are worth keeping or not. I don't seem to have trouble finding them but I know that some people on here can't find them at all. I just started my Thursday nickel box and 15 rolls into it found 4 D's and 2 P's. I already have 2 tubes of them saved. Just curious what other nickel enthusiasts think about saving them. Is it going to be worth it. I know its petty to ask, saving a few bucks in nickels isn't going to hurt my game, I just want to know what you all think about them.

Upvote 0

rfishoutofwater

Feb 11, 2011
PNW
Detector(s) used
garret 350
I have only found 5 or 6 in the last 25 or 30 boxes. I guess it all depends. I keep them b/c of the rarity around here. and they were low numbers minted

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I save them - I think I've only found about half a roll in the past 2 years - all P's because I live in the east - but that's fine with me because the P's have a slightly lower mintage anyway. I'll never forget when I saw a 2009 CIRCULATED nickel that sold on ebay in Dec 2009 for $4.10 - for one nickel. I couldn't believe it. That's what really got me interested in searching for them. But that was probably when prices were at their peek for these coins and may have been about as high as prices got because more and more sellers seemed to be selling unc rolls. But they are the lowest minted circulated nickel since 1959 so I think they are worth keeping - esp while you can still find them in AU condition.

HH

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on my fourth roll of 2009-P, and almost half a roll of 2009-D. I only search two boxes of nickels a week, so it's not volume. They're less common than other recent dates, but I'm shocked that you can sell circulated rolls for over face. People will buy anything I suppose. :dontknow:

OP
OP
papa1956e9

papa1956e9

May 11, 2011
mdockter said:
If you have too many, sell them on eBay or trade them in at a local coin ship for silver.

You ever made anything off this, after Ebay fees and Paypal fees* and shipping? or just to a dealer?

*btw, this is kind of new, PayPal charges Ebay sellers a fee now. Its stupid. I used to sell 2011 Pennies on Ebay for $0.99 (Costs me a few cents for a stamp plus the penny, not very profitable but people bought them.) Those bastards at PayPal took 33% as a fee from $0.99.

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never sold them to a coin shop, just an idea. I've seen them at a few shops for $1 a pop...I know, a rip off price for those of us in the know, but if a dealer can sell them for $1 each he might give you more than face for a roll to make a profit himself.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
just wondering - does anybody bother to date search dimes to look for '09's - they dimes have low mintages figues too. I don't search dimes as much as nic's but I've only found about 8 '09 dimes.

HH

WormtownFJR

Jan 27, 2009
SilverFace said:
just wondering - does anybody bother to date search dimes to look for '09's - they dimes have low mintages figues too. I don't search dimes as much as nic's but I've only found about 8 '09 dimes.

HH

You could pull 09s, I used to when 09s were the newest and edge searching could nab them.

Also, I would have to vote YAY on the nickels

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I keep them, I have about 5 2009 Ds and 1 2009 P. I plan to keep a roll of each. I'm not sure if there value will continue to be high as there are 30-40 million of each available, but it is worth a try.

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
keep them,

I did a tour of the Denver mint in 2009 and asked about them, they ran the presses on nickles and dimes for only 2.5 days each. that mans in one work week at the mint they made all they did for the year. So they are low mintage.

speaking of government waste. they also had 75 monster bags of cents of the first 09 lincoln D that were on the wall to be melted and not remade. they had some kind of error and 75 several tone bags/ pallet crate sized. were all being sent out to scrap.

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well 2009 d nickles and 2009 p nickles were made up to april of 2009.as well with the 2009 dimes.and the s were mabe in profe sets only.there were 46800000 million of the 2009 d and i do beleve 39 milllion or so of the p nickles.i went threw 266 dollars and only found 2 of the 2009 d.but found 3 war nickles and a forien coin.another guy i know went thew 6000 nickles thats 3 boxes worth and on found 2 of the 2009 d.the reasion for the short run was there was not a demand for them in 2009.because people were cashing the change in to pay bills.from the 2008 meltdown.i have been to 2 coin show also.pretty large ones.i found one person selling 1 roll of 2009d..ebay gets at least 1-2 dollars each for the d and about the same for the p s.yet there really is not many ads up on ebay.so this makes me ask the question were are all those 2009 d nickles at.currently i have a box of 2009d nickles and 120 loose ones and a roll of 2009d dimes.it was next to inposable to get a box of them.if your trying to find them the local bank is of no help.it took me a crap load of hunting for them.i have seen som of these in coin magazines go for crazy prices.mine are for sale curntly on ebay.frist 4000 takes my 2009 d box and all the 2009d dimes and the 120 d loose 2009 d nickles.

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm first poster. Welcome to the forum the nickel guy. You have some good info, but I have trouble reading what you're saying. Spell checker and use of paragraphs might help that.

Happy Hunting!

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I would agree with Eldar, it is hard to read when the post is wordy and no paragraphs are used.

Regarding the issue of whether or not to keep the 2009 nickels, I would say that it's a "yay" because of the mintage figures.
I personally found 7 so far, taking in account that I'm not even in the US.
As long as the number of 2009 pulled from 10 boxes is not over 20, then it is good practice to save a roll or two, just in case.

CanadaCoinHunting

May 14, 2012
Canada
Primary Interest:
Other
I just found a 2009P nickel this past weekend. It is the first one I have found so I kept it. The mintage numbers on them are so much lower than recent years that I assume they are worth setting off to the side.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome aboard, Canada Coin Hunting.
Seems like you are from the Great North, which province are you hunting in?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread