Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rakattack said:
The top coin and right side coin are both PMD.

Not sure what you're trying to get us to see with the bottom coin.

I think the bottom coin is an attempt to alter a 1959-D into a "key-date" 1950-D

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looking at the effect of the opposite rim the coin on the right could be a genuine clip.
HH
enamel7

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
enamel7 said:
looking at the effect of the opposite rim the coin on the right could be a genuine clip.
HH
enamel7

Yes I think that one is a clip that happened to also have had its rim dented. I also think that was for sure a 59 nickel.

conpewter

Aug 17, 2010
Illinois
Not exactly sure how the sheets look that they clip the planchets out of, but perhaps that nickel was punched out too close to the edge (straight clip) and had another nickel partially punched out of it.

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
conpewter said:
Not exactly sure how the sheets look that they clip the planchets out of, but perhaps that nickel was punched out too close to the edge (straight clip) and had another nickel partially punched out of it.

I think the second clip is just pmd, as you can see where the rim was dented and pushed back over the letters o f and a,

OP
OP
S

Silvercrazy

Nov 24, 2006
Here's my opinion on the three nickels shown. The blank back is Post Mint, the clip is a true double clip, and the old nickel is a 59D missing it's leg no one has altered it in any way. (I'm sure you see this a lot with partial #'s or letters). I thought it was intresting since it tied in to the toughest nickel in the set. Thanks Dennis.

CRH

Nov 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Top and Bottom coins are both PMD, the one on the right would need pictures of the side to get a full understanding if it is a clip.
-CRH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread