Idea to open the door to checking credit unions - thoughts?

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've generally avoided asking for coins at credit unions since it seems that they will only talk to you if you are a member -- i.e. you have an account there.

I tried out a new approach yesterday on a nearby CU that I wanted to share and get your thoughts on.

My idea is this: Be a member of one credit union somewhere. Then, when you go to a different CU, and they ask their question, tell them honestly "No, but I'm a member of _______ CU on the other side of town" (or whatever is appropriate).

From my experience yesterday, this seemed to open the door for me. While they didn't have any halves/big$s for me, the teller was receptive to me swapping bills for coins after I told them about being a member of another CU. (I know this because she mistakenly pulled out a roll of presidential dollar coins for me.) Even better, I was able to leave them my phone number on a sticky note in case any of the good stuff comes in.

I think that CU tellers like it when people are CU members - if not their own, then at least some CU.

Has anybody else had a similar experience for getting their foot in the door of a CU? Are there any other suggestions you have for getting a CU to sell you their halvsies and dollars?

With this technique in mind, I probably won't avoid CUs like I did before!

Upvote 0

Ken H.

Greenie
May 12, 2010
Kennesaw Georgia
If you are saying you are not a member of a credit union, do yourself a favor and join. As I recall it was $10 to open an account. Free coin counting machine and great rates if you actually choose to use them for other services ( car loan, mortgage, etc. ).

OP
OP
kennedyfan

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ken H. said:
If you are saying you are not a member of a credit union, do yourself a favor and join. As I recall it was $10 to open an account. Free coin counting machine and great rates if you actually choose to use them for other services ( car loan, mortgage, etc. ).

Just to be clear - we are members of *a* credit union, but there are a lot of credit unions out there, and you can't possibly join them all! This is a way to go into *another* credit union and still be able to get on their good side.

(Coin counting machine - I wish! For some reason they don't seem to exist out here in CA except as costly coinstars!)

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinstar here in Austin is now12 percent. ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions