Interesting story from my CU teller

rfishoutofwater

Feb 11, 2011
PNW
Detector(s) used
garret 350
Went to my CU today to dump some coin and the teller asks how I did. Told her I got nothing. She proceeds to tell me about an old man that came in a couple weeks ago and was starting to dump $3k in quarters in the coin machine. She notices that they are all silver and stops the man from doing so and tells him to go to a coin shop as they are worth more than face. So apparently he took them to the local coin shop and sold them to them for $100 per roll totaling $30k. I felt like throwing up. I was sick to hear this man got screwed. He may not think it but my calculations on coinflation put those worth 30x's face totaling roughly $90K. I only wish I was there. Anyhow that's it. These tellers all no about silver but they cannot buy from the branch.

Well, went to my pick up bank and picked up 250 dimes, 200 nickels, 50 pennies and 1k in halves. I will post my results later.

Happy Hunting.

Upvote 0

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is pretty crazy....buy a box of quarters and fill up the coin counter...see if any of his stash is still in there!

OP
OP
rfishoutofwater

rfishoutofwater

Feb 11, 2011
PNW
Detector(s) used
garret 350
Bigheed said:
that is pretty crazy....buy a box of quarters and fill up the coin counter...see if any of his stash is still in there!

They dont sell off the coin machine. Everything gets shipped out. this is why its my dump bank. My other Cu which is different company will call me when someone drops coins.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bummer...try begging for an exception...it could be worth it!

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
I know about that rule, no lookie in the baggie. RATS.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
rfishoutofwater said:
Went to my CU today to dump some coin and the teller asks how I did. Told her I got nothing. She proceeds to tell me about an old man that came in a couple weeks ago and was starting to dump $3k in quarters in the coin machine. She notices that they are all silver and stops the man from doing so and tells him to go to a coin shop as they are worth more than face. So apparently he took them to the local coin shop and sold them to them for $100 per roll totaling $30k. I felt like throwing up. I was sick to hear this man got screwed. He may not think it but my calculations on coinflation put those worth 30x's face totaling roughly $90K. I only wish I was there. Anyhow that's it. These tellers all no about silver but they cannot buy from the branch.

Well, went to my pick up bank and picked up 250 dimes, 200 nickels, 50 pennies and 1k in halves. I will post my results later.

Happy Hunting.
I'm assuming you would have paid the old dude a lot more than 30 grand for the quarters?

OP
OP
rfishoutofwater

rfishoutofwater

Feb 11, 2011
PNW
Detector(s) used
garret 350
fistfulladirt said:
rfishoutofwater said:

Happy Hunting.
I'm assuming you would have paid the old dude a lot more than 30 grand for the quarters?

I sure would have paid him a lot more than the 30k or at least told him were to send them. That was just not right. IMHO. I am going to stop in the coin shop tomorrow and see what they have and nose around. lol

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't be too sad about this. The guy was going to cash them in for face value, he obviously didn't know/care what they were worth and $30K is a lot more than $3K. I'm sure the guy was thrilled to get $30K for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread