Should I turn my dump Bank into a pick up bank?

b_kauz

Jan 3, 2011
So I have been dumping at a bank for almost a year now and the ladies working all know that I go through the coins and look for the "good ones" and then bring them my left overs. Well today I got to talking to the head teller and she said she has been getting alot of people asking for coins lately(I assume halfs since thats what I usually dump) but she said not to many people dropping off large amounts other than myself. So I asked if they sold the bags off the machine and she stated that they hadn't but they could if I wanted them.

So what do you guys thing, should I start buying their coins off their machine? She told me she would have a $1000 dime bag ready sometime next week if I wanted it. I am thinking it might pay considering she made it seem like I was really the only one dumping at this bank, on the other hand she could just want me to stop dumping there as well.

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome bank, i would buy bags, but as people post on here those horror stories of being shorted $200+ on bags from the machine and never get reimbursed. your risk. Do one bag and see if the risk outweighs the reward. hh

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
If your the only one dumping there, wouldn't you just be picking up your own stuff if you buy bags off the machine? So is your reasoning behind wanting to pick up from there, the fact that maybe some people who are dumping smaller amounts may have stuff in those loads of coins, then you can go thru it?

Ginkawa

Aug 11, 2011
thats one of the things I have wondered about... I mean you'd think that buying bags like that would tend to get a lot of dumps, rather than a lot of good stuff.

in the given situation, and I wouldn't be buying my own dumps, I'd definitely give it a try.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
You know if the bags are receiving dumps or not by how frequently they fill.

Ask your teller accomplice how often the dimes fill. If it takes weeks to fill, it is filling naturally. If it fills quickly, it is CRH rejects.

A month or more goes by between my dime bags from my CU. Average is 5 Ag per $1000 bag.

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
As mentioned-- there is a big risk when buying bags. I have had 3 shortages of $50+ in past 3 months. Luckily the bank found error and all was ok, but there have been postings here of members who were not so lucky.

I love bags as you always have that chance of a huge score if someone dumped grandpa's collection. I have done well with quarter bags but find about the same amount of dimes as if I would have looked through 4 boxes.

Great suggestion above about asking the teller how long it takes bag to fill.

Good luck
MU

DarkRider23

May 31, 2011
madwest said:

Not necessarily. If the bank is pretty busy, then bags fill quickly. At the bank I work out, we fill 2 Quarter, 2 dime, 1 dime and 1 penny bag a week on average. No one that I've seen dumping coin in the bags so far looks to be a CRH'er. We did have someone drop $900+ of quarters yesterday, so that might have been a CRH'er.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
DarkRider23 said:
madwest said:

Not necessarily. If the bank is pretty busy, then bags fill quickly. At the bank I work out, we fill 2 Quarter, 2 dime, 1 dime and 1 penny bag a week on average. No one that I've seen dumping coin in the bags so far looks to be a CRH'er. We did have someone drop $900+ of quarters yesterday, so that might have been a CRH'er.

Noted. If bags fill fast, you won't know if they fill fast because of dumping, or just high traffic at that branch. If they fill slowly, you pretty much know that there isn't dumping going on.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
madwest said:

Ask your teller accomplice how often the dimes fill. If it takes weeks to fill, it is filling naturally. If it fills quickly, it is CRH rejects.

A month or more goes by between my dime bags from my CU. Average is 5 Ag per $1000 bag.

Not necessarily. Back when I worked at a bank pretty much every bag other than small dollars and halves would fill every 2-3 days. Often we had 2-3 quarter bags a day, and at least one penny bag a day. Dimes if I remember correctly was pretty much changed every 2 days ($500 bag) and other than quarters (most of which were from laundromats and car washes) all the change came from people's change they wanted to cash in (well, except for some of my CRHing dumps, but the totals I listed are without my dumping boxes :laughing9: )

It just depends on the bank.

Bags are always interesting, there are /lots/ more foreign coins in bags than you would get in boxes, a lot more trash, and yes, they could be off, sometimes by a lot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread