Funny looking pennies! Update-PICS

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
I bought $20 in pennies yesterday. Since I stopped sorting the copper out (have a popcorn can full, that's enough for now) I can go through them much faster. In one roll I found this odd penny- thicker than a regular one, and lighter. It's PLASTIC! Isn't passing fake coins in place of real ones called counterfeiting? They must have felt guilty about it, because a few rolls later I got a 1987 dime in a penny roll!
5 wheats, all in the '50's, 10 canadian. 1958 wheat was REALLY shiny!

Upvote 0

garrettfan2

Jul 24, 2006
dallas ft worth
Re: Funny looking pennies!

ive gotten a dime in pennies before and too many nickels in a roll more than once. just recently found a 1942 nickel in a roll. i think its a war nickel-still checking it out. keep looking and posting.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

Congrats on the 5 wheaties and the dime. Shame about the plastic penny though, perhaps you can swing 5 cents out of it in a yard sale?

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Maybe its a new trial coin from the mint.

OP
OP
RatRacer

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA

The back is pretty convincing, but the front...

Attachments

• plasticpenyback.jpg
    plasticpenyback.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 271
  • plasticpenyfront.jpg
    plasticpenyfront.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 277

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Congrats on the good finds!!! Funny you say you found a play penny in a roll.

I caught myself, when rolling my CLAD....from putting a PLAY PENNY in. Yep, I almost did it. I already gave the coins a scan through for wheaties and silver and put them in a large bowl until I get enough for rolling.

Well, when rolling the CLAD the other day....I caught the play one...whew!!! So, the one you found RatRacer, it's not mine ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread