Would you like to go back in time and coinroll hunt?

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
What do you think it would have been like coinroll hunting in the past. Did anyone even bother? You probably wouldn't have to go to far back to get some good scores.. Lets say the year 2000. Don't know what the price of silver was then but could have been less than face value especially on 40% coins. I WONDER...............................................................................................................

Upvote 0
OP
OP
goldinmypan

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
I picked up my box from a bank that I have only used once before with OK results. The box had a different look to it and I hoped it wasn't all new coin. Nope!! The newest coins in the box were 2000 and just a few of them. So I think it was stored sometime around early 2000. I have always wanted a box from the bottom of the stack.

As I pulled the rolls out of the box, what to my amazed eyes should appear but 16 rolls that had silver showing on the end. When my heart slowed down I started opening them. All but 10 rolls had silver in them. A couple had 8. Granted most were 40%ers. But silver just the same

Well are you ready for the the totals................

Let the suspense build.............................................................................................................................................

OP
OP
goldinmypan

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Ok, here it is.

40% total 94
1965 9
1066 17
1967 47
1968 25
1969 6

90% total 9
1943 1
1954 1
1958 1
1960 2
1064 3

1 1976-S clad

1 1996-D with a JFJ sticker over JFK

Here is the picture of my haul.

Attachments

• lots of goodies.jpg
    lots of goodies.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 422

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
Even if I went back to the time when I was 18 years old, I wouldn't have been able to do anything because I didn't have any money. I was a lazy broke teenager. I have figured out now that you have to work hard and then you will be rewarded with wealth. I am not rich, but I can afford the hobby. I spend almost all of my halves.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Heck with coin rolling...I would have kept all my dimes for every tooth I lost and every quarter I got for a molar coming out, and for all the change the grandparents gave us....it was still silver when I was a kid...if I had only known...

That old saying, "If I only knew then what I know now." (Sigh)

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
The question is, what are some things that aren't very valuable or expensive now, but could be valuable 20 years from now?

For example, will copper pennies and nickles be like silver in the future?

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100% yes!!!
i know someone who used to do it in the 70/80s and he got rolls and more then half would be silver(dimes and quaters)

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to roll hunt as a young teen in the late 70s, but only pennies and not really more than a couple of dollars at a time. I don't remember wheats being any more common than now. I always checked my Mom's change purse and rarely if ever found silver. By the time I got into collecting the silver boom had happened so any stray 90%-ers disappeared from pocket change.

Love your avatar whitesid! ;D

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
goldinmypan said:
What do you think it would have been like coinroll hunting in the past. Did anyone even bother? You probably wouldn't have to go to far back to get some good scores.. Lets say the year 2000. Don't know what the price of silver was then but could have been less than face value especially on 40% coins. I WONDER...............................................................................................................

........or how about CRHing halves in 1970; when EVERYTHING was a keeper. Can you imagine the Walkers and Barbers one must have acquired ?

I was only doing pennies and nickels back than....as it was all I could afford.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to go back in time, 1820`s to be exact and i would not come back.

bobr

May 17, 2006
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I definately would like to go back, probably to the early 60s, & buy some boxes of silver. The only problem is, my money I have today wouldn't be any good back then!

E

el_gral

Shoot, im just glad i stumbled on this website a few months ago, and started coin roll hunting or else I would still have those sorry azz clads still thinking there "gonna be worth" something someday! ???

B

baseballbandits

I agree about going back into the 60's and having the foresight (and extra cash) to buy thousands in boxes of halves, quarters, dimes, and nickels. But the ultimate would be if you had the willpower to save 100 boxes for a rainy day 50 years later. I am sure there is some old man out there who has those boxes still sitting in his closet. On a side note, I do realize that in the 60's $1 meant a hell of alot more than it does today.
Also...were boxes of change back then 50 rolls? ???

captain ahab

Jan 4, 2005
colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Going back for CRHing would be good, but just think what they'll say in ten years...

"You mean the banks would just give you coin rolls with no added fees AND there would be silver coins in them. Coins up to 100 years old in halves, pennies, nickels!"

Make no doubt about gentlemen (and ladies) THIS is the golden age of coin roll hunting. Let's all make the most of it while it lasts! ;)

prospectorYorkPA

Jan 16, 2007
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism III
Back in 1963-64 when in the Navy in Virginia Beach, 3 of us used to go to a place in Norfolk and get $50 bags of cents from a coin vendor. He'd shovel them into a hopper and fill the bags in front of us.

Then we would go back to one of my shipmates house and sit and go through our bag and drink a little beer.

Quite common to find Indian Heads. Ocassionally we would hit on to a 09s and rarely a 09s vdb.
Found a couple 14d's and my actual best find was a EF 22 no d. One thing it allowed was to put together a great looking cent collection as we were always upgrading as we found a better coin than we had.

We would do this maybe once a month (usually after payday). Talk about having alot of fun with friends. Would be great to be able to do this again.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I got into CRH searching penny rolls back in the early 70s. I too was a broke, lazy teenager, so I could not afford to get into it any more than that. At the time, it did not occur to me to search half dollars.

Oh well. 35 years on down the road and all I can say is woulda, shoulda, coulda lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread