Is the Penny Hoarder sorter worth it?

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://penniesnmore.weebly.com/products.html

It claims to be able to sort 7 coins per second, which would add up to 25,200 per hour. It's fed manually though. It's $114.95, and the automatic variant called the Penny Miner is $369.95. While I can afford to drop $500 on a Ryedale, I'd really rather not drop that kind of money on a sorting machine. Ryedale seems to no longer offer their sniper model for $100.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mleblanc138

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
50 rolls an hour? That's pathetically laughable for Halves and Dimes when I'm doing boxes in 15 min. I probably don't handsort Pennies that fast, but I could get up to that speed if I tried hard enough. In my opinion, the whole point in getting any kind of machine is to search way above and beyond what can be searched by hand. Which is why I would totally get a Penny Hoarder if it can actually do 7 Pennies a second.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I am not sure about hoarding copper US pennies. I get that the copper value is 2.5x face but still is it worth the time and energy? Wouldn't searching for wheats, silver coins, buffalos be of greater reward? We dont even know when if ever US pennies will be legal to melt. 40% silver halves have the lowest ration between face and melt and it is 12x!!

I have 70lbs of US copper pennies in my basement. I havent added in awhile. I have been searching boxes of pennies for wheats and canadian copper (about 50 a box).

To answer the title of this thread, No I would pass on a penny sorter and invest in more boxes of dimes, halves, nickels, or quarters whatever yields the most silver.

Just some thoughts, as always, have fun with whatever direction this hobby takes you!

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I personally don't have a Ryedale or any other sorter, but from what I've heard on this and other forums is that the Ryedale is $500 because it works and if I remember correctly some members bought some off brand version of the Ryedale and ended up returning it. Since I'm not charter I can't search for it.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are serious about copper cents, get a ...

Don't get ...

If you are adventurous, make your own sorter. If not, buy ... It is a ...

The cheapest route is to ...

The next cheapest route is to ... If you have ... If you don't, you might ...

Last edited:

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get the ryedale sniper model, just email Andy and ask for it. I myself personally would not even mess with anything less than a ryedale. Also the penny miser is in no way a knock off of a ryedale. Penny miser works on weight while the ryedale contains a comparator. Completely different concepts there.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
AGCoinHunter said:
You can get the ryedale sniper model, just email Andy and ask for it. I myself personally would not even mess with anything less than a ryedale. Also the penny miser is in no way a knock off of a ryedale. Penny miser works on weight while the ryedale contains a comparator. Completely different concepts there.

If you look at the PennyMiner, it is a part by part knockoff of the Ryedale Apprentice. They use ... and have ... The first photo is the Ryedale. The hopper looks different from the 2nd photo's hopper (the PennyMiner) only because there is an extension on the Ryedale.

Of course the Penny miser is nothing like either of the hopper/comparator based devices. Nobody suggested otherwise.

Attachments

• APP2.jpg
    APP2.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,493
  • PMiner.JPG
    PMiner.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 4,350
  • P Miser.jpg
    P Miser.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,872
Last edited:

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
madwest said:
AGCoinHunter said:

If you look at the PennyMiner, it is a part by part knockoff of the Ryedale Apprentice. They use the identical hopper and have identical configurations. The first photo is the Ryedale. The hopper looks different from the 2nd photo's hopper (the PennyMiner) only because there is an extension on the Ryedale.

Of course the Penny miser is nothing like either of the hopper/comparator based devices. Nobody suggested otherwise.

Obviously you have seen neither of them in person. When you do come back and tell me your above statement is correct. They compare in no way. Feeding them via a funnel and a tube compares to the hopper on the ryedale? LOL.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
AGCoinHunter said:
madwest said:
AGCoinHunter said:

If you look at the PennyMiner, it is a part by part knockoff of the Ryedale Apprentice. They use the identical hopper and have identical configurations. The first photo is the Ryedale. The hopper looks different from the 2nd photo's hopper (the PennyMiner) only because there is an extension on the Ryedale.

Obviously you have seen neither of them in person. When you do come back and tell me your above statement is correct. They compare in no way. Feeding them via a funnel and a tube compares to the hopper on the ryedale? LOL.

Look at the pictures. You can't even tell there are 3 different devices in the 3 pictures. You think there are only two devices shown. The first two devices are Ryedale and PennyMiner. They are nearly indistiguishable.

The 3rd pic is the Penny miser. You are the one who decided to speak about the Penny miser, so, I included a picture of it to show that it is nothing like the other two.

Read the post. Then come back and tell me that anyone except >>>you<<< was comparing the Penny miser to the Ryedale or to the Penny Miner.

LOL.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
In case no one has noticed... Buy the ... and you've got ... for $300. You would need to ... but it's doable.

Or, ... get the PennyMiner. It really is, despite frivolous/uniformed claims to the contrary, a part-for-part knockoff of the Ryedale Apprentice.

Last edited:

markymark

Mar 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
No the Penny Hoarder is NOT worth it. You MAY be able to put 7 coins a second through the coin comparator, however, it is extremely difficult to put that many coins through it without a cube hopper. Yes the Penny Miner has the same components as the Ryedale but the part that makes a Ryedale a Ryedale IS the chute. The chute causes less jamming inside of the comparator which is the vital component to keep running. I have used both a Ryedale and a Miner. MY personal preference is the Ryedale because if something breaks, (due to a dumb accident or wear and tear) Andy is always there to help unlike Matt who makes the Penny Miner. Plus of course the machine runs non-stop and for the most part NEVER jams. I was getting multiple jams per hour with the Miner and after taking slow motion photography it is obvious his chute is inferior for feeding coins into the comparator. The coins are just shot out of the cube hopper, bounce randomly off of the chute side and this is the time you hope they go into the comparator. Just saw this thread and thought a neutral opinion should be added. I have never used a Penny Miser so I will not comment on the "wood hacker".
Just my two cents

Agro

Dec 13, 2010
Cali
how fast can you put coins into a vending machine? that's about as quick as it will go if your machine doesn't self-feed.

markymark

Mar 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Agro said:
how fast can you put coins into a vending machine? that's about as quick as it will go if your machine doesn't self-feed.
Much more tiring too... completely worth the extra money for an auto feeder.
Something troubling I just found though, Matt who makes Penny Miners, was recently found doing some extremely illegal things... I am 100% sure this is him based on his ebay sales.
http://www.wqow.com/global/story.asp?s=12286951
Wouldn't order a machine now anyway. You never know when he will end up in jail, inevitably you being without a machine, and him most likely keeping your money...

OP
OP
mleblanc138

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the OP of this thread, your replies have convinced me that anything short of a Ryedale is not worth it. I'm also scared that a Ryedale itself wouldn't be worth it for me as I'm worried about how I would acquire the tons of Penny boxes needed to make the whole thing worth it, especially when I'm ordering close to 20 boxes of Halves a week in my area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread