Is more volume necessarily better?

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the answer to this question is the same as it is with a lot of questions - it just depends.

I just finished searching a Brinks half bag that a teller ordered for me without my asking. When she told me yesterday that she had ordered a bag for me I sort of had mixed feelings about it because I had ordered a Brinks half bag about a year and a half or two years ago and it was an absolute skunk. Well today's half bag was no different. Other than a few rather well circulated NIFC's it was just a complete skunk with absolutely no silver.

But just earlier today I stopped at another bank and bought $7 in loose halves and half of them - 7 coins - were 40%ers. And just yesterday I got 2 halves from another bank and 1 was a 40%er. I'll take a 50% success rate anytime with any search but 100% failure on these larger searches is what I often get.

I know I've only searched two bags but I have a strong feeling that if I searched through 100 of these bags I wouldn't find any silver and I would just be wasting my time and money - because that is money I could be putting to better use CRHing someway else. I wonder if Brinks doesn't run these coins through a coin counting machine that removes all the silver - and if they don't why wouldn't they. It seems completely foolish to me that all these coin services don't sort out all the silver coins they get instead of just giving these coins away (actually selling @ fv - but these days it's about the same thing).

But I searched my first half BOX last week and scored 9 40%ers which I thought wasn't too bad. They were string & son rolls that I believe were from garda. I think I'm getting another box this Friday and I think I will stick with those boxes for a while and see how much success I have with those but I'm going to avoid these Brinks bags like the plague.

HH

Upvote 0

Straight_Flush89

Aug 10, 2011
What you need to understand is that you cannot consistently expect loose halves, or loose rolls to be silver. You can search all the halves in your area, boxed, loose, etc, and then what do you do when you run out? You order boxes to get new halfs. It's not the volume of coin you purchase at once, it's the volume of coin you search through over time.

If you clear $50k face value, you'd expect to have roughly double the silver as searching only $25k. The more boxes you search, the more likely it is that you'll hit the jackpot as well. You could buy one box, that's a skunk, and the box next to it that the teller didn't grab for you could be solid silver for all you know. That's why they say volume is key.

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Straight_Flush89 said:
What you need to understand is that you cannot consistently expect loose halves, or loose rolls to be silver. You can search all the halves in your area, boxed, loose, etc, and then what do you do when you run out? You order boxes to get new halfs. It's not the volume of coin you purchase at once, it's the volume of coin you search through over time.

If you clear $50k face value, you'd expect to have roughly double the silver as searching only $25k. The more boxes you search, the more likely it is that you'll hit the jackpot as well. You could buy one box, that's a skunk, and the box next to it that the teller didn't grab for you could be solid silver for all you know. That's why they say volume is key.

I've been searching loose and cwr halves where I live for some time and there has and never will be a shortage of those - unless I'm expecting to get $1000fv or more every week that way which I'm not.

Maybe you misunderstood my point. I was specifically referring to Brinks bags where I live. It just seems rather apparent that these coins have already been searched and I really doubt I would ever find any silver in those bags no matter how many of them I search . I mentioned that the situation was different with the half boxes I've started searching and I'm going to continue with those as I start to increase my volume and my CRHing budget. Sorry for the confusion.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
It all depends on your dumping arrangements. If you can easily dump 10K a week and have the finances to do it, more volume is always better, you have nothing to lose but time. On the other hand, if your dump bank complains when you dump $100 in halves, you are better off searching CWRs.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
I think your instincts about where the silver is at are fairly accurate. If I had the same experience as you, I wouldn't be wasting my time on bags. I would be in CRH'er paradise if teller halves produced anything like they have for you.

Teller halves and boxes have been a SILVER VEIN for you. Why look elsewhere?

Keep on Rollin' !

PD.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I prefer the CWR. My best finds by far were from CWR. However, my only walker was in a string box. I am not opposed to buying MWR boxes but I don't have great expectations from them but if you're going to buy them, get the strings whenever possible.

My strategy is to concentrate my efforts on where the silver enters circulation for the first time. Less eyes have been on the CWR.

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SilverFace said:
........I searched my first half BOX last week and scored 9 40%ers which I thought wasn't too bad. They were string & son rolls that I believe were from garda. I think I'm getting another box this Friday.......

And because you're "thinking" about getting another box instead of going heavy volume and ordering 4 or 6 or 8, the guy doing heavy volume in your area got your next 7 silvery boxes. You may say no one else at that bank orders boxes, but Garda may service 50 or 100 branches (probably more), and when an order for halves comes in they get it from the same place they'd have pulled your order.

sultan of silver

Nov 7, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^^^ Hey Nick just saw that your last post was 666 thought you may want to do another post to get off that number^^^ :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread