Bank CANT order half dollar boxes....or WONT??

synapse

Oct 3, 2006
New England
Bank CAN'T order half dollar boxes....or WON'T??

I've decided that it's time to give a few boxes of halves a shot, but when i have asked about it at the bank and credit union that I have accounts at, I got the same response. They say they "can't" order boxes of half dollars. They can (will) order pennies through quarterrs, but not halves. I think their coin supplier should have all types of coins ready to go, but maybe that's not the case (?). I'm not going to push the issue with them since my most conveniently located branches are very nice about selling me CWRs whenever i stop in, but i just wondered if any of you have any input on this....when a bank says they "CAN'T" order a box of halves, are they actually just saying that they "WON'T" order a box for me?
Thanks for the input.

Upvote 0

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
Re: Bank CAN'T order half dollar boxes....or WON'T??

To be honest your best bet is to just move on and find another branch or bank that will. If the bank is already a good source, no need to push a small issue and risk a good thing.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ya just inquire at a few bigger "chain" banks maybe for halves?

No need to rub them the wrong way if you've already got a good thing going

Piledriver

May 21, 2011

When banks say that they "CAN'T" order for you they actually mean:

Translation=
"We cannot order boxes of half dollars for you without incurring losses of possibly a dollar or two per month, and you are not worth that to us. We have plenty of business, and we don't mind at all refusing your request because it doesn't matter to us if we have you for a customer, or we don't. So run along. Oh, and by the way, if you threaten to close your account, we will try not to giggle."

There are other banks.

Find out what the rules are, and WIN the game.

Keep on Rollin' !

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My CU would not order boxes for me either, any denomination. I was dumping some half's there a couple of months ago and the manager
came out to change out the box. We started chatting and it turns out that he is a coin collector like myself.

**I collect coins and CRH as well**

After talking for a couple of minutes he told me that he could get me half dollars but the CU orders all coins from another bank in the area, they are not a member of the depository/region coin bank. That would explain to me why they couldn't order half dollars and for him to
say he would for me meant they appreciated my business and knew that I wouldn't be ordering $10,000 a week to hunt through.

Get to know the man/woman in charge no matter what it takes, once they realize you are collecting ( :laughing7:) and understand why you
are ordering them, they usually will help you out to a degree.

Just my experience and opinion.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is possible that they "can't" order halves. I know that here Chase Banks can't order them. I talked to a couple of head tellers about a year ago and they've tried to order them, but the computer zeros out the number on the half dollar line automatically. One even told me that she received a memo from the money center stating that "half dollars and large dollar coins can no longer be ordered by the branches as they are considered non-circulating currency". Based on that, I'd say that they "can't" order halves.

Scott

td31

Jun 27, 2011

i have 2 friends that actually work for wells fargo at different branches in my area and they cannot order half dollars. they asked the head guy there and they are cutting costs as the reason for this

OP
OP
synapse

synapse

Oct 3, 2006
New England

Thanks for the insight everyone.

As a side note, they always seem to look at me like I'm a little nuts when i ask about ordering a box of half dollars!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

I'm guessing it is a little of both.

Some banks "can't" because of corporate policy.

Some banks "won't" because of either the cost, or because of the idiots that order $1,000 in halves, search it in their car, and return it an hour later.

It might help if you promise the tellers that you will never, never, never return the halves to that bank.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other

I got my first half box from Chase last Friday and I was hoping to get my second box this week but the vault teller told me today that it didn't come in this week and I'll have to wait till next week. She also told me that she probably won't be able to order me any more because coin orders are supposed to just be for business acct holders.

But I can get all the Brinks half bags I want from another bank but as I've posted previously those bags seem to be all pre-searched clad bags and I really don't want any more of those.

I guess that's just how it goes with CRHing and even life sometimes - being able to get all of the things you don't want but not being able to get the things you really want. I guess I'll just have to try other banks or just stick with cwr's.

Akagi

Tenderfoot
Sep 16, 2011

They can. but they won't.

I just got my local Bank of America to order $10,000 in halves for me by opening an account with them. I'm pretty sure they were mostly fished through though because I picked up the first lot of 4 boxes and found like 1 or 2 40% halves per box.

Picked up 1 box of halves from an ExtraCo bank a few towns over and I managed to get like 40 40% halves and even found 1 90%. Unfortunately it was their last box.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

If you're in New England, I recall that some banks that Rich Hartford and Ugotit22 went to, cut them off from ordering halves. Perhaps you can try things in different states other there? New York for sure.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011

Akagi said:

I just got my local Bank of America to order $10,000 in halves for me by opening an account with them. I'm pretty sure they were mostly fished through though because I picked up the first lot of 4 boxes and found like 1 or 2 40% halves per box.

Picked up 1 box of halves from an ExtraCo bank a few towns over and I managed to get like 40 40% halves and even found 1 90%. Unfortunately it was their last box.

Results like that indicate that there are other CRH'ers dumping into the pool from which B of A gets their coin.

Akagi

Tenderfoot
Sep 16, 2011

Piledriver said:
Akagi said:

Results like that indicate that there are other CRH'ers dumping into the pool from which B of A gets their coin.

Could be, but I'm not so sure. I scored big time on the hunt before my last one. Pulled something like a roll of 90% and 2 rolls of 40% with 2 Walking Liberty halves. Last hunt I went on was total skunk. Found a bunch of happy face marked, T initialed, and blacked ear Kennedys as well. All hunter marks.

MusicMan

Feb 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm more of a bill collector so I search through 1's and I've built a relationship with my branch. I withdraw from them but I will never dump what I just withdrew back at that branch. I asked a long time ago if they had any half dollars and they only had a couple but nothing silver.....There's a teller that has taken quite an interest in what I'm doing and the next time I came in she said she had two rolls of halves for me if I wanted them. So I gave her $20 for both rolls....well those rolls ended up containing 8 90% and 5 40%....I sold them all on ebay and made over $120. Because she helped me out I brought her a 1$ silver certificate to thank her. Now every time I go in there she seems to have something new for me. Moral of the story: Treat your tellers well and get to know them on a more personal level. Be friendly and respectful.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TD Bank literally cannot. They can put the order in manually, but the supply companies have been told to disregard orders for halves, so they will never be delivered.

Source - HS Friend of mine who recently left TD for Wells Fargo.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Get their fee scheduled. It clearly states that they have to order you coin for a fee. A box of halfs is considered coin....

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Just so we dont keep responding to OP...this is a reallllllly old post guys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions