Coinstar Hunting!

justr13

Tenderfoot
Sep 16, 2011
So i'm very new to this craze of coin roll hunting and i tried it out a few times with some luck a silver here and there. After awhile i got to thinking of a possible better outcome, I happen to work at a grocery store which has a coin star machine. Lucky for me they let me buy the partially filled bags from the machine, I bought the half-dollar bag which contained $35.50 in face value coins. When I searched the bag I found 1 Franklin, 8 1964's and 14 40%'s!!!!!! I couldn't believe it, the bag had been sitting for a few months and fills very slowly unfortunately but all in all I think it was a great find!

Th3Offspring

Aug 29, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow! not sure if you are aware of this but you are one of few if not the only one who is able to buy the coins from a coinstar machine! I would be very careful how you handle dealing with your place of work so as to not screw up that opportunity. I would buy as many bags of each denomination of currency from that machine as i could! congrats!

Agro

Dec 13, 2010
Cali
is it a 'coinstar' machine or a coin counting machine from a different company? the coinstar machines i've seen have two coin boxes inside

OP
OP
J

justr13

Tenderfoot
Sep 16, 2011
I'm not sure the company I was never really interested in knowing i'll look though. I personally change out the machine and it seperates the coins in all different bags, about 2 bags for each denomination.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Nice find , more importantly nice deal with those bags. My advice to you is to not tell your coworkers what you are doing . Just tell people you are a coin collector.

iceman0xh

Dec 22, 2009
definitely not a coinstar machine. The coinstars have 2 armored boxes they dump into and all the money is dealt with by a separate company, either way though still a nice coin counter to have access to.

alaskanfever

Mar 8, 2011
ALASKA
I can tell you right now that it is not a coinstar machine. Coinstar has their coins under lock and key really though they do all the coins get thrown into either two boxes or one big box and the coin handler never even sees the coins he just swaps out the box with a new one and loads the box in the truck and on to the next location.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome!!! keep an eye out for the older folks dumping coin, as well as the teenagers!

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I was able to access the "dirt cup" of a Coinstar machine once, but it involved angering a teller. She was really steamed to have to open up the machine. Worked out pretty good for me though.

;D

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
I was able to access the "dirt cup" of a Coinstar machine once, but it involved angering a teller. She was really steamed to have to open up the machine. Worked out pretty good for me though.

;D

Did you find anything good in there?

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
azlegends said:
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:

;D

Did you find anything good in there?

Yes. An American Silver Eagle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread