The only Canadian?

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello, everyone. I have been coin roll hunting for almost a year now looking for a variety of coins. I should say I have been collecting coins for over a year and a half, for numismatic value as well a metal value, oh and I'm Canadian. Last year I began buying a bundle of quarters every few weeks looking for all the commemorative ones and I found them. I then began going through nickels and pennies during mid winter looking for copper, kings and wheat, then for nickels I have been looking for pure nickel coins and kings. I have been lurking on this forum for a little over a month and have enjoyed reading these post so I thought I should join in on the fun. In the past few weeks I have had some amazing finds, at least by Canadian standards. I started looking through dimes last May, at first I didn't expect to find any silver as this was just an experiment but after I walked away with 4 silver dimes from one box I was hooked. I spent a good portion of my summer vacation looking for silver, wheats and kings. I don't do the massive volume that some of you on here do but each week I manage to get some coin roll hunting done. I always pick up from one bank which I have developed a relationship with so they set aside some old stuff for me. I will post my top finds which I got mostly from this one bank in a different post. This post is mainly just to say hello and find out if there are any other Canadians on this forum.

Upvote 0

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I think there are a few other Canadian posters on this forum, but from what I've heard CRHing in Canada is fairly difficult because the government constantly culls silver, copper and even the pure nickel coins from circulation. On the other hand, I guess with a magnet it would be fairly easy to clear a lot of loose "silver" coins.

One question I do wonder though is what about half dollars? From what I can tell it seems like banks can't even order boxes of them? Is that correct?

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello and welcome! I don't know much about canadian coinage but finding silver translates in all societies. I don't have any banks saving 'old' coins for me :( but I've only been at it for about 6 weeks. I do have 5 more bank accounts compared to what I had 6 weeks ago lol

OP
OP
That Canadian Guy

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Generic_Lad said:
I think there are a few other Canadian posters on this forum, but from what I've heard CRHing in Canada is fairly difficult because the government constantly culls silver, copper and even the pure nickel coins from circulation. On the other hand, I guess with a magnet it would be fairly easy to clear a lot of loose "silver" coins.

One question I do wonder though is what about half dollars? From what I can tell it seems like banks can't even order boxes of them? Is that correct?
In Canada the 50cent piece NEVER circulates. On average the Royal Canadian Mint makes about 150,000 50cent pieces each year then sells them buy the roll at a premium to collectors, so it is sort of like how the US mint makes half-dollars NIFC. The mintage for the 50cent piece has always been very low an since the 1960s it has been very unpopular. The last silver 50cent pieces were made in 1967, then in 1968 they reduced the size and produced them out of pure nickel, so even if you were lucky enough to get any amount of these from the bank, either the silver would be loose or you would have a solid roll cause they would not fit with the modern ones. Seeing as the 50cent piece has not been made for circulation for a while, banks can't order them, only on rare occasions have I been lucky enough to get nickel 50cent pieces from the bank which were either turned in a while ago or recently an old timer brought in his stash. Any 50cent coin, silver or not in Canada is a win cause it is worth more numismatically. Something I have yet to try is putting one in a vending machine, rumour has it the machine will accept it as a dollar. The mint does try to cull the older coins but that is mainly in the east where the mints are, I live in the west so I have not really had to deal with that because most of the boxes I get consist of CWR. When I look for silver dimes I just go over it with a magnet, non magnetic will either be silver or american. You can put together a nice collection of commemoratives from quarters but silver wise, you won't find any. Copper and pure nickel nickels are plentiful where I live.

OP
OP
That Canadian Guy

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
dossier said:
Hello and welcome! I don't know much about canadian coinage but finding silver translates in all societies. I don't have any banks saving 'old' coins for me :( but I've only been at it for about 6 weeks. I do have 5 more bank accounts compared to what I had 6 weeks ago lol
Well for me customer loyalty pays off. I have one bank account with TD canada trust and I take advantage of all 5 branches in the city. I essentially all my coin from the best bank, occasionally going to the others then dump at the main branch. The main branch has so much business cliental that their coin goes immediately so they make the perfect dump bank always being happy to take coins. They rarely have pennies and are grateful when I bring some in.

ScottNVAB

May 22, 2011
I got a question for you....how common are those 25cent commemoratives? I got a few olympic ones, etc.

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Canadian Guy said:
dossier said:
Well for me customer loyalty pays off. I have one bank account with TD canada trust and I take advantage of all 5 branches in the city. I essentially all my coin from the best bank, occasionally going to the others then dump at the main branch. The main branch has so much business cliental that their coin goes immediately so they make the perfect dump bank always being happy to take coins. They rarely have pennies and are grateful when I bring some in.

My my bank account has been TD Bank for 5 years - formerly Commerce Bank down in 'merica. I never had a balance over 4 digits so I doubt I'd get preferential treatment unless their manager was exceptionally nice. So far of the 4 I've dumped at near me, none are happy when I leave heh.

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
Welcome to tnet. This thread has me wondering, here in America its kind of standard though that if you have Canadian coins in your box your going to score. Is it the same in Canada? Do you guys find alot of US coins?

YuriyV

Jul 12, 2011
Ontario
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ScottNVAB said:
I got a question for you....how common are those 25cent commemoratives? I got a few olympic ones, etc.
Very common.

YuriyV

Jul 12, 2011
Ontario
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That Canadian Guy said:
I then began going through nickels and pennies during mid winter looking for copper, kings and wheat, then for nickels I have been looking for pure nickel coins and kings.
What do you do with pure nickel? I've found several uncirculated rolls of 1967 and some pre'50 circulated nickels and don't know what to do with them:
DSC_0518.jpg

DSC_0520.jpg

DSC_0521.jpg

DSC_0522.jpg

OP
OP
That Canadian Guy

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
YuriyV said:
That Canadian Guy said:
I then began going through nickels and pennies during mid winter looking for copper, kings and wheat, then for nickels I have been looking for pure nickel coins and kings.
What do you do with pure nickel? I've found several uncirculated rolls of 1967 and some pre'50 circulated nickels and don't know what to do with them:
DSC_0518.jpg

DSC_0520.jpg

DSC_0521.jpg

DSC_0522.jpg
Did you get those rolls from the bank? Amazing find if you did. The coins you have, have some numismatic value to them, when I find pure nickel I do the same as I do with copper pennies, I hoard them. Last time I checked nickel was about $8 a pound so a pure nickel nickel would be worth something around 8 cents, when I began looking for pure nickel it was at $12 a pound so each coin was worth about 12 cents. But regards to what I do with them I just hoard them along with copper.

OP
OP
That Canadian Guy

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
And to answer the other questions, the commemorative quarters are fairly common but if you want a complete set of each you will have to do some searching, they are very similar to the american state quarters and the other circulating commemoratives, there are plenty to go around. And in Canada finding american coins in your every day change is very common, for a box of dimes on average I will find a roll or more worth of american dimes, pennies, nickels and quarters I find lots of americans, every penny box I go through I find at least 1 wheat. Right now I have over $125 USD which I have found from coin roll hunting, I keep it because the American dollar is worth more than the Canadian dollar, next time I go to the USA I will bring the coins. Finding american coins in Canada is a lot more common than finding Canadian coins in america.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got about four rolls of Canadian pennies, some that go back to the teens. I've also got about half a roll of dimes. I think my oldest is 1911. I love those Canadian nickels with the beaver on them. I think I've got a couple of two dollar coins that are brass or something in the middle. It's always a treat for me to find Canadian coins. Maybe we should start a POW exchange program to get some of these coins back into their proper countries. ;D

OP
OP
That Canadian Guy

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Clad the Impaler said:
That Canadian Guy said:
And to answer the other questions, the commemorative quarters are fairly common but if you want a complete set of each you will have to do some searching, they are very similar to the american state quarters and the other circulating commemoratives, there are plenty to go around. And in Canada finding american coins in your every day change is very common, for a box of dimes on average I will find a roll or more worth of american dimes, pennies, nickels and quarters I find lots of americans, every penny box I go through I find at least 1 wheat. Right now I have over $125 USD which I have found from coin roll hunting, I keep it because the American dollar is worth more than the Canadian dollar, next time I go to the USA I will bring the coins. Finding american coins in Canada is a lot more common than finding Canadian coins in america.

I hate to break it to you, but the US Dollar isn't worth more than the Canadian Dollar anymore and hasn't been for a while. I have 2 kids that live in Canada with their mother (I'm American and live in the US). I send her $ by Western Union every 2 weeks when I get paid. Todays exchange rate was 0.98 Canadian-$1.00 US ($202.00 US= $200.00 Canadian). The US Dollar has been weaker than the Canadian Dollar for some time now. The Canadian Dollar is now one of 3 world currencies currently worth more than the US Dollar (the other two being the British Pound and the European Union Euro).
Not according to my source.http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert/?Amount=1&From=USD&To=CAD

Silver Bear

Sep 14, 2011
Always loved the design on the '58 Totem Silver Dollar. Picked up a few of those recently. A first for me at auction.

Another question. What type guide for coins do you find to be the standard? Sort of on a par like Red Book for U.S. Coins

Welcome and HH...SB

OP
OP
That Canadian Guy

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
usandthem said:
I've got about four rolls of Canadian pennies, some that go back to the teens. I've also got about half a roll of dimes. I think my oldest is 1911. I love those Canadian nickels with the beaver on them. I think I've got a couple of two dollar coins that are brass or something in the middle. It's always a treat for me to find Canadian coins. Maybe we should start a POW exchange program to get some of these coins back into their proper countries. ;D
I like that idea. I would be really interested to know the dates of your canadian pennies and dimes, did you get them all from coin roll hunting? I will try to post some pics of some of the old coins I have.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello canadian guy, I'd like to pipe in and say welcome, and say that I've found 12 canadian silver dimes this year roll hunting. I find between 20-50 can dimes per $500 us searched.
I've also dug 1870-1920 can dimes, quarters, cents and large cents.
You should buy a ton of dimes and drag a magnet through the pile. ffd

OP
OP
That Canadian Guy

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
fistfulladirt said:
Hello canadian guy, I'd like to pipe in and say welcome, and say that I've found 12 canadian silver dimes this year roll hunting. I find between 20-50 can dimes per $500 us searched.
I've also dug 1870-1920 can dimes, quarters, cents and large cents.
You should buy a ton of dimes and drag a magnet through the pile. ffd
That is exactly how I search for silver. Those are a lot of canadian coins you dug up there, and you dug those up in the states? nice find.
To all, I will try to post tonights finds with pics tomorrow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread